Torque Converter Problems!!! Please Help!!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 14:47   #1 (permalink)

Torque Converter Problems!!! Please Help!!!!!

Here is the the story. I found this 98 taurus for $750, and guess what was wrong with it, yes it was the transmission. Anyway I thought it was a good deal, so I bought it. I tore the tranny down and the pump had exploded into a million pieces. I got a new valve body/pump and did a full rebuild. I put the tranny back in the car and the torque converter kept disengaging and engaging. So I did a little research and the valve body the transmission shop sold me was for a 97, so it had the wrong torque converter solenoid. I put the right solenoid in and everything worked fine. Except, this is where it gets kind of wierd, when you turn on the A/C, defroster, floor/vent the torque converter disengages and engages every 20-30 seconds, kind of like cycling. I did not drive this car before I bought it so this could of been a previous problem, maybe the cause of the pump falure. If the switch is in any other position everything works fine. How are the selector switch and the torque converter solenoid related? The only thing that I can think of is that I may have damaged the ECM, the resistance on the solenoid for the 97 was 1.2 ohms and the 98 solenoid was 14.7 ohms. No codes are coming up with snap-on scanner. I would appreciate any help or ideas. Thanks
77v-drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 17:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: Torque Converter Problems!!! Please Help!!!!!

check all the grounds for the A/C system and the body grounds. Sounds like the A/C clutch is grounding itself through the transmission and disengaging the TCC solenoid.
Old 09-08-2007, 17:52   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. It disengages when you turn the selector to defrost also. It works fine in vent, floor, and off.
Old 09-08-2007, 20:10   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Unfortunately that is completely normal for an OBDII Taurus TC.

It takes a modified PCM tune to rid yourself of it.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 20:27   #5 (permalink)

SHOZ123 what is your suggestion, a reflash? New ECM? Or something else?
Old 09-08-2007, 20:29   #6 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

The dealer won't help. You need an after market flasher. Which I can provide. :)
Old 09-08-2007, 21:10   #7 (permalink)

Why would I need an after market re-flash if all of the parts are stock? What would your re-flash do that the dealer couldn't do? What I want to know is what do the A/C selector switch and the TCC have in common? This isn't my primary vehicle so I just want to figure out what is going on and why.
Old 09-08-2007, 22:18   #8 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Because it is not a problem in Ford's eyes. It is the way they want it programmed. An after market flash is capable of doing many things. Stopping the TC from constantly cycling is just one of them.
Old 09-13-2007, 20:52   #9 (permalink)

Anybody else have any ideas. If it worked before it should work now.
Old 09-14-2007, 13:31   #10 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

What's not working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007