Transmission Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 07:23   #1 (permalink)

Transmission Question

I bought a 96 Taurus for my son 2 months ago with 130K on it. Very clean car, no problems until yesterday. The car starts fine but when its put into reverse or park it immediately stalls out. I had it towed to a trans shop that I trust, and he told me some valve or solenoid (I forgot which) was sticking. They suggested a trans rebuild for $1500, but we only payed $1600 for the car?

He flushed the tranny, did the filter and put in new fluid, and said it may or may not work. The car worked fine until this morning and it's doing it again. Does anyone know what selonoid/valve causes this? Is it anle to be changed without rebuilding the transmission? I would rather drop the pan and change a part than rebuild the whole trans if possible.

Other than this, the trans worked great, fluid wasn't burnt, and it shifts fine.
Any help is appreciated!
a-ford-able is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2007, 18:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: Transmission Question

You can replace the solenoid by removing the side cover to the transmission. You may have to lower the engine cradle on that side to get the cover off.

Before you do that, disconnect the electrical connector to the transmission range selector at the top of the transmission. Look for green corrosion. These switches are a known problem and can cause all kinds of crazy symptoms. I'd replace that before I'd head for solenoids.

What your tranny guy is talking about is the solenoid that shifts the torque converter into overdrive mode. Sometimes they stick. So as soon as you put it into drive, you're actually in oversdrive, which is like starting out a manual transmission in 5th gear. However, solenoids usually stick when they are hot. You didn't say anything about hot.
Old 10-14-2007, 19:12   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice RickMN. I removed the connectors and found them to be full of oil and dirt. I cleaned the connectors real good with electrical cleaner and reinstalled. I drove the car today without problems We'll see how it does in the morning. It usually acts up at the first start of the day....when my son is already late for school. I appreciate your advice. If it fails again, I'll change the TCC solonoid
Thanks again.
a-ford-able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:39   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

The solenoids are controlled though the connector that is sticking straight up on top of the tranny. This is just in front of the TRS.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007