Ford Forums banner

Two newbie questions

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  tbird100636 
#1 ·
I have a new (to me) 2002 Taurus SE with the Vulcan V6. The coolant looks like crap. I am trying to figure out which one to use the yellow or the green. The owners manual say use what the cap shows. My cap shows yellow but there is green in there. So what do I use for a complete drain & flush?

Since most 5-30w oils are semi-synthetic can I extend the change interval from 3000 to 5000 miles? What filters would you recommend if I go to 5000 miles?

I have always been a 3000 oil change kind of guy. Any input would be appretiated.

Pat Callaghan
Portland, OR.
2002 Taurus SE

#2 ·
According to Mitchell On-Demand, the coolant should be the new yellow stuff. As For the oil, Ford changed the recommended viscosity of the engine oil. It is now 5W20. Many companies make this grade of oil in semi-synthetic so it shouldn't be hard to find. As for the filter, I have always used Motorcraft filters on my car with no problems. Yours is a FL-400S. Good Luck!!!

#4 ·
patcal said:
I called a local dealer & he said to use the green. I would have to buy a car right on the cusp of change. :) Thanks for the info.
The yellow coolant is a long life coolant. You should have went to another dealer to get the right coolant. The additive packages are different and can cause deposit build up and possible corrosion the cooling system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.