Uneven Tread Wear...bumpyy Tread? Help!, 2000 taurus LX FFV - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2006, 11:53   #1 (permalink)

Uneven Tread Wear...bumpyy Tread? Help!, 2000 taurus LX FFV

Hello all,

My first post... so here goes.

I have a 2000 Taurus LX Flex Fuel with 112k on it. I recently noticed the back driver tire to be worn very unevenly. the tread lines go all wavy (up and down). it is like this all around the tire. When you run your palm across the tread, you can feel how bumpy the tread is. also, while going down the road, it made a thumping noise due to the tire.

I just repalced the tires, and my question to you all is...Do I have bad struts, springs and alignment? I dont want to ruin my new tires so I want to fix this soon.

Also, If i need to replace the struts, what kind do you recomend and should I replace the springs at the same time? I think the back end sits a little low (Sagging?), what kind of springs would raise it?
mkzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2006, 17:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: Uneven Tread Wear...bumpyy Tread? Help!, 2000 taurus LX FFV

I would have to think that your diagnosis of worn suspension parts would be correct. The tire shop should have been able to tell you what needed to be replaced. As for replacement, you should be able to use whatever you want, as long as its meant to fit your car. Go to the parts shop and tell them what car you have and they will give you a list of different products that will fit. They will also be able to tell you the differences between products as well (ex: one has a longer warranty, one will give a smoother ride, one will handle better, etc). I've never heard of spring fatigue being a problem but I suppose it could be. Typically, if the car seems to be riding lower than normal, it could be because a coil is busted near the top or bottom (like on my T-Bird). After you complete your suspension work, take it to a tire shop and have them perform a four wheel alignment. In most cases, when you say you want an alignment, they will only perform it on the front tires. You may also consider taking it to a shop before you do any work and asking them to check it over for you before you go spending a bunch of money on it.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:33   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Uneven Tread Wear...bumpyy Tread? Help!, 2000 taurus LX FFV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fold_em83
I would have to think that your diagnosis of worn suspension parts would be correct. The tire shop should have been able to tell you what needed to be replaced. As for replacement, you should be able to use whatever you want, as long as its meant to fit your car. Go to the parts shop and tell them what car you have and they will give you a list of different products that will fit. They will also be able to tell you the differences between products as well (ex: one has a longer warranty, one will give a smoother ride, one will handle better, etc). I've never heard of spring fatigue being a problem but I suppose it could be. Typically, if the car seems to be riding lower than normal, it could be because a coil is busted near the top or bottom (like on my T-Bird). After you complete your suspension work, take it to a tire shop and have them perform a four wheel alignment. In most cases, when you say you want an alignment, they will only perform it on the front tires. You may also consider taking it to a shop before you do any work and asking them to check it over for you before you go spending a bunch of money on it.
With the type of tire wear you descibe, which is cupping, you more than likely have an alignment issue. 1996-2006 Taurus/Sable vehicles tend to look like their sagging in the back, but this is a normal condition. You may have a worn sturt (shock) but the alignment is the main cause. Make sure to check for bent suspension arms too.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 22:17   #4 (permalink)

I have this EXACT same issue. Cupped rear tires and a whomp whomp type sound loudest around 40 mph but vibration from like 55-65 and 75-85 ish. I plan to replace rear tires. How can I check my rear shocks to see they are ok? Are these a strut or shock back there? Ill have the dealer check for broken springs as I have one cracked front being replaced under recall. Is there a recall for the rear springs too?

Thanks
Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 16:32   #5 (permalink)

Shocks shouldn't be that expensive. If they're suspect, just change them. As for the recall, stop into a local Ford dealer and ask. They should be able to tell you.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:03   #6 (permalink)

how do you get to the top mount on a taurus/sable strut?

Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:14   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Uneven Tread Wear...bumpyy Tread? Help!, 2000 taurus LX FFV

If you're talking about the upper nuts, you have to remove the rear seat cushion, the rear seat back and lift the package tray to gain access to the nuts. As for the spring recall, it only applies to front springs.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007