Vulcan reliability? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 21:17   #1 (permalink)

Vulcan reliability?

Recently I have been looking for a new car. I have noticed that it's not too hard to find low mileage (Less than 100K miles) Ford Taurus and Ford Aerostars with 3.0L "Vulcan" engines in them. I was wondering, how reliable are these engines? I've read that they're completely cast iron, which I would assume makes them more "Durable" than your typical engine with an aluminum head. What about the transmissions paired with them?

I do have an uncle with a 2001 Mercury Sable that has the Vulcan and it's got about 260K miles on it.
m3t4lm4n222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 06:45   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Vulcan reliability?

Most of the Ford transmissions have been fairly reliable with proper maintenance. Getting a car with over 60K should have any recalls fixed, but, typically, people don't service the transmission properly. Don't let that scare you off, though, as 60-100k is about the perfect time to do a fluid and filter change and it should give you quite a few good years.
Old 10-10-2013, 21:15   #3 (permalink)

I have had a 96, 2000 and now have a 2006 Taurus. the Vulcan engine is quite reliable. Just the normal wear and tear stuff, batteries, filters etc. I have not had any problems with the trannys either but i always do the fluid and filter changes at 30, 60 90k. Always ask for the real mercon V fluid not the mercon with additive.
fstrfvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 20:06   #4 (permalink)
canuck

My '99 Taurus served me very well with the 2V Vulcan engine. I have no complaints.

Reliability has to do with how the vehicle in general has been maintained. If you can get a vehicle that has previous maintenance records, then you'll see first hand. If you go check out a car, and notice the engine oil on the dipstick is dark black, it might spell neglect, and you might want to check other vehicles.

My '99 had a sticker on the bad window "Proudly Built in Chicago", and I believe it.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 20:31   #5 (permalink)

Just curious about the "bad window" would it be the left rear? My 96 and 2000 taurus and 01 sable all had those windows stop working?
fstrfvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:41   #6 (permalink)

Check with car complaints CarComplaints.com | Car Problems, Car Complaints, & Repair/Recall Information to see what other people are saying.
F150Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:07   #7 (permalink)

I own an 87 with almost 250,000 miles. Knock on wood, it still works fine. I did replace the timing chain & gears at 150 as I did not know if they were metal or plastic and found them to be metal toothed. I did not need to replace the set.
Rocker covers never off, pan gasket replaced for leak, factory parts except the TFI ignition module, and regular maintenance.
A good engine. I would like to find a newer one with roller cam followers and less miles.
tom
p.s. it has the factory AXOD with normal fluid & filter changes and only a speed sensor replacement.
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007