What did I just break???? "thingy" won't cut it. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 18:26   #1 (permalink)

What did I just break???? "thingy" won't cut it.

So some of you have helped me with my 2003 Ford Taurs, 100,000 miles, regular V-6 deep water fording question, in a seperate thread located here:

Hurricane Ike--- Deep Water Taurus Questions

I'm kinda running out of options. I am still getting the misfire on cylinder 3 code. It will occassionally pop out the intake on accelleration, and I'd be surprised if the thing is getting 15 to the gallon in the engine default mode.

I tried the fuel filter. It needed changing, but that didn't fix it. So far I have done the following things, in the listed order to attempt a fix. I cleared the engine codes and drove it a few days between each fix:

1) Rubbing alcohol and injector cleaner in the tank. Changed engine oil.

2) Tested all spark plug wires and plugs. They all come back good, although the suspect plug has carbon buildup.

3) Changed fuel filter.

4) Did an injector flush at the rail.

5) Drove it for three weeks, hoping it would fix itself or dry out whatever got wet (three tanks of gas).

I took it to Ford for the new TSB on the ECU, hoping they might give me some advice. They said it was a torn spark plug boot (which I suspect they tore), that it would be $400 for new wires and plugs, and that would fix the issue. Evaluation cost me $85, and they won't do the TSB until I fix the main issue.

So today, I changed the following:

All new Motorcraft wires
All new Motorcraft plugs (hope they are pre-gapped)
New fuel injector in cylinder 3

And I broke the thingy. I don't know what it is. A sensor of some sort. Bolts to the back of the intake manifold. It has a 3 wire plug and two hoses from the exhaust manifold going to it. Exhaust manifold pressure sensor?? I snapped the intake hose ports off the sensor trying to remove the intake manifold, and it will have to be replaced. But what do I ask for at the parts counter?

So now the thing runs like a goddamn paint shaker. It won't even idle without a foot on the gas, and putting it into gear results in an immediate stall. I'm guessing this little sensor is pretty important, or I missed a step on replacing the injector.

Or do I need to purge the fuel rail? How do I do that?? Or is something super-screwed, and I need to stop messing with it and take it to a real mechanic while I'm still ahead?

Any opinions are welcome. Please put sarcasm in italics so I know that I don't need a new muffler bearing.

Thanks,

Wilderness
Wildernessjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 10:41   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: What did I just break???? "thingy" won't cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernessjeep View Post
So some of you have helped me with my 2003 Ford Taurs, 100,000 miles, regular V-6 deep water fording question, in a seperate thread located here:

Hurricane Ike--- Deep Water Taurus Questions

I'm kinda running out of options. I am still getting the misfire on cylinder 3 code. It will occassionally pop out the intake on accelleration, and I'd be surprised if the thing is getting 15 to the gallon in the engine default mode.

I tried the fuel filter. It needed changing, but that didn't fix it. So far I have done the following things, in the listed order to attempt a fix. I cleared the engine codes and drove it a few days between each fix:

1) Rubbing alcohol and injector cleaner in the tank. Changed engine oil.

2) Tested all spark plug wires and plugs. They all come back good, although the suspect plug has carbon buildup.

3) Changed fuel filter.

4) Did an injector flush at the rail.

5) Drove it for three weeks, hoping it would fix itself or dry out whatever got wet (three tanks of gas).

I took it to Ford for the new TSB on the ECU, hoping they might give me some advice. They said it was a torn spark plug boot (which I suspect they tore), that it would be $400 for new wires and plugs, and that would fix the issue. Evaluation cost me $85, and they won't do the TSB until I fix the main issue.

So today, I changed the following:

All new Motorcraft wires
All new Motorcraft plugs (hope they are pre-gapped)
New fuel injector in cylinder 3

And I broke the thingy. I don't know what it is. A sensor of some sort. Bolts to the back of the intake manifold. It has a 3 wire plug and two hoses from the exhaust manifold going to it. Exhaust manifold pressure sensor?? I snapped the intake hose ports off the sensor trying to remove the intake manifold, and it will have to be replaced. But what do I ask for at the parts counter?

So now the thing runs like a goddamn paint shaker. It won't even idle without a foot on the gas, and putting it into gear results in an immediate stall. I'm guessing this little sensor is pretty important, or I missed a step on replacing the injector.

Or do I need to purge the fuel rail? How do I do that?? Or is something super-screwed, and I need to stop messing with it and take it to a real mechanic while I'm still ahead?

Any opinions are welcome. Please put sarcasm in italics so I know that I don't need a new muffler bearing.

Thanks,

Wilderness
Sounds allot like the DPFE sensor (EGR Pressure sensor). Post a picture so I can confirm it.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 19:13   #3 (permalink)

Re: What did I just break???? "thingy" won't cut it.

OOOhhhh yaaaa it is the ./DPFE sensor (EGR Pressure sensor).

This is part of the EGR system...Ford taurus are well now for their failure.
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007