What to look for in buying an SHO - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2004, 23:08   #1 (permalink)

Question What to look for in buying an SHO

Hi everyone, I am new here, first post. I am looking to buy a 95 Taurus SHO from a buddy. He is the original owner, it has 95,000 miles on the clock.

Are there any things that I should look into on the car that could be a partular problem spot? This is a Califiorna Car, garaged most it's life so the body and paint are real nice, but what about the drive train. Thanks to all.
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2004, 23:12   #2 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Re: What to look for in buying an SHO

Well, on thos models they are pretty solid. The only thing as faras drivetrain is first off is it an ATX or MTX? If it is an MTX then when was the clutch changed last. Has it ever had a lower and front 60k tune up? HOw are the drive shafts? The drive shafts should be good if he didnt drive it hard all the time. I have a 98 SHO and I REALLY want a 95 SHO bad!!!! They are fast and there is alot of upgrades you can do to that model. If you need anymore info let me know!!!! Also, let me know if you buy it....there is a website dedicated to SHO's and there is ALOT of info on Tech Q&A's and upgrades!
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 00:40   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Matt. The car has an ATX, I am not sure about maintenance, I havn't seen the records. I am getting this car from my oldest and dearest friend. He bought it new and gave it to his mom to drive about eight or so years ago. He is a very hard driver, races a lot with his Vettes but he never raced the SHO. That isn't saying he didn't drive it harder than snot. But he is also very good at keeping a car up so at this point I know it has not been abused. He is VERY good at driving, I would pay for the first ride he gave me in his Z06 Vette, I am not kidding.

Anyway, I have been lurking around here and shoforum.com and getting jazzed. I am going to get the car tomorrow, that is all there is to it.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:18   #4 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

For the most part it will be a good car to buy then if you know him and know that he does keep up on it. ATX cars have less go wrong with them then a MTX car. So, there should be no "real" problems in the near future with it. If you dont mine me asking but where are you from? I am having a gathering at my place this Saturday (Aug 28th) and if you are near my area you are MORE then welcome to attend. Its like and end of the year gathering and Tech session. We are doing alot of work on people's tranny's and other stuff. I have people coming from Kentucky, Illinois, Ohio, and places here in Michigan. You actually named the website that I am a member of and you might have even seen my post there about the gathering. Here is a link with more info on it!!!!! BTW that is an awesome site and have been a member there for almost 3 years now. I joined just after I bought my SHO and been there since. Oh and Pre-Congrats on the new buy!!!!

http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=32307
Monroe, MI

Old 08-25-2004, 07:53   #5 (permalink)

I am in the San Francisco Bay area, so it would be out of the question, but thanks. I was "pretty close" a few weeks ago with my 96 Windstar though :) I put 5600 miles on a twelve state vacation the farthest east I got was KS so I was only a few miles from you. :)

I'll be back on here and or over there after I get the car and have more a zillion questions.
Thanks!
Old 08-26-2004, 07:49   #6 (permalink)

Well Matt, I am jazzed, I got it last night. It is super clean, and super loaded. I have been driving a really beat 65 Buick for the past three years since I quit my sales job where I had a nice new car. Getting in this SHO was like a 2004 for me, I am just jazzed.
Old 08-26-2004, 13:00   #7 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Congrats!!!!!! I was the same way when I bought mine. I actually passed up a 2002 Mustang GT to buy this.....with a little help of the insurance quote also. LOL You will have MANY fun times with that car! You bought your sho a month too late too. We just had our National Convention last month in Cali. It was a blast from what I have seen. Now you gotta get over to shoforum.com and join there too!!!
Monroe, MI

Old 08-28-2004, 21:01   #8 (permalink)

Matt, I am over at SHOforum already. Learning a lot, and helping what I can. Brian
Old 08-28-2004, 23:51   #9 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Brian...here are some pictures of that meet I had at my house. At one point we had 27-28 sho's there at one time. I culdnt believe how many people sho'ed up!!!! Enjoy!!!!

http://hosting.superhighoutput.com/9...20Meet%202004/
Monroe, MI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007