Ford Forums banner

Would you buy this Taurus? '99, 97K, Typical Heater Issues

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
Hai,

I am considering a 99 Taurus w. 97K miles. It's in lovely condition. However, it seems to have the heater issues that are typical w. this car. When I test drove it, it had a/c but no heat. The mechanic flushed out the heater and now it's blowing hot. I am afraid that this will be a money pit in the future. What is your opinion?

#7 ·
I'll be soon passing 140K miles on my '99 SE sedan. What's this with the heater issue?

I thought a few years ago that the thing was blowing air too hot, so I replaced the thermostat with a lower 180F unit (stock is 195F).

I haven't had any problems with it, but I noticed that the coolant reservoir is nearly the same colour as the coolant itself, making checks a bit more difficult as I can't see the level from outside. I have to remove the cap, shake the vehicle slightly to get an estimate on where the level is. Nothing that isn't too typical in a vehicle that's 11, going on 12 years old! I cannot complain.

#8 ·
OK---there are a lot of lucky owners out there who have not had heater problems, I am not one of them.

I am into my 2nd 99 Taurus, both powered with the mighty Vulcan. Each has had heater problems. I got quite efficient in the first car pulling hoses. This time, I was determined not to rip hoses off each time I needed to back flush. OH--- I did find that the complete engine and heater required flushing. The brown casting sand is a bitch to completely get rid of even with high mileage.

The second car (I have another post on this one with a different problem) I cut both the feed line and the return lines. Next I inserted ball valves so I can block water flow to the engine. Next I installed drain cocks on both the feed and returns line. Now I can connect a garden hose to the return's drain cock, open the feed line's drain cock, turn on the water feed to the hose and back flush the heater all in about 5 minutes.

Results??? Mucho heat!

Foggy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.