You cannot be serious... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 15:18   #1 (permalink)

You cannot be serious...

2 Months after having the tranny rebuilt on my POS 98 Taurus and last night it would not shift into over drive and the O/D light kept flashing. The light dont flash anymore and it shifts in and out of gear and today completely died but then magically fixed itself after a couple of minutes and worked fine the rest of the way to work. What could possibly be causing this POS to do that?
clydefrog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 15:28   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: You cannot be serious...

The OD light can flash codes to tell where the problem might be. When it died, you mean the engine died? Two different problems that I doubt are connected. Does it shift alright now?
Old 03-30-2010, 16:55   #3 (permalink)

This is what has happened, both times the engine died and after waiting 10 minutes it ran fine both times after that. But what could make the transmission not shift right other than the transmission because it is very obviously shifting in and out of gear and not going into overdrive consistantly...So cold starting it shifts real rugh or not at all and slips in and out of gear bu tonce you shut it off or it dies after a few minutes it will be fine...Until it gets cold again...
Old 03-30-2010, 17:39   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'm sure you checked the trans. fluid level. I'd check all of the connections to the engine and trans. Have you had it checked for codes? AutoZone will check for free. Get a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF. I've seen many problems fixed with a MAF cleaning.
Old 03-30-2010, 17:42   #5 (permalink)

Th MAF was what was thought originally and its not that and its under warranty and yes the fluid is good but im afraid they will try to tell me ist something they didnt fix and not covered so thats why im looking for opinions and yes I checked all the obvious, the mAF, IAC and stuff...
Old 03-30-2010, 18:16   #6 (permalink)

I mean the tranny is under warranty but the MAF is fine...
Old 04-12-2010, 19:51   #7 (permalink)

So since my lst post the car has a habit of the engine light going off and everything running fine and then the light will come back on and it will shift funny and then wash, rinse and repeat. I'm not spending any more money one it because I am finally getting promoted retroctive to 3 years ago with 3 years back pay and am buying something that does not start with a F and end with a D...
Old 04-12-2010, 21:37   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Good luck with finding something that doesn't give any trouble. I've never seen a make that didn't have issues. I've worked in the repair business for 49 years and worked on almost every brand. None are trouble free.
Old 04-14-2010, 18:56   #9 (permalink)

But I have never seen one with so many issues in such a short amount of time, one day the blinkers work one day they dont, one day the engine light is on and one day it is off, one day it shifts right and the next it doesnt, its possessed and I really hope someone tbones me at a moderate speed where I only get shaken but not stirred and then it wont cost me a dime to get rid of it.
Old 04-14-2010, 21:16   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It's safer from the front. The air bags go off and that's it.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007