01' rear end questions... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 01:04   #1 (permalink)

confused 01' rear end questions...

Hey, I stripped a couple gears in my rear. it was 2 little gears and i snapped some kind of pin, not sure if thats the ring and pinion or not i dont know alot when it comes to the rear. Now a friend of mind thinks i need to check the axel bearrings i think he said to see if anything from the gears messed ne thing up. So right now I dont know If I just need to get a new gear cluster or a whole new rear end. Now its a lightweight stock 7 1/2 inch rear, 5-speed. Id like to get LSD or whatever I need to get both wheels pushin, could I do this by only getting new gears and I would like to get a better and stronger rear if I get a whole new rear, just something that can hold up to harder driving because I drive alot. I was also wondering if a rear from say a V-8 would bolt up to my 6?

Sorry theres so many questions but I really need to get this thing back on the road and I just need to know what exactley I need. Its killing me not havin her lol. Well thank you for your time and I hope yall can help me. If you want you can also e-mail me your responses. Rova_Dova_42069@yahoo.com. Thank you
buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 17:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: 01' rear end questions...

A GT (V8) 8.8 rear end should bolt right up. I'd strongly recommend just switching to that instead of investing more money in a 7.5" axle. Find a junkyard where you can pull your own parts and grab the whole axle. Look for one with a limited slip differential (LSD) and you'll be good to go. Crack open the cover before you buy. As long as the fluid isn't milky and the teeth on the ring gear (the big one) look okay, roll with it.

The axles are worth $900+ if you go to a Mustang shop or a junkyard where they pull the equipment for you, but down here, the entire axle, with brakes and everything, can be had for $200 out the door.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum