02 Mustang Vert - Wet carpet back passenger side! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 09:10   #1 (permalink)

02 Mustang Vert - Wet carpet back passenger side!

I have googled everything! No one seems to have a picture of where the drain plugs get clogged. I have removed the back seat and pulled up the carpet. I see the plug under the front seat carpet, but where is this water coming from? I have read that it comes from the rear speaker area, but how do I get into that, and what does the drain hole look like? I don't see any leaves or anything when I look in there through the small back window weatherstripping with a flashlight. How do I remove the side panel to see better? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
bjbushey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 09:36   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 02 Mustang Vert - Wet carpet back passenger side!

From another forum on the same problem ,

" Ok after having the leak problem myself and tearing out the innards of the car (2003 Vert) here is what I learned.

1. There are two drains in the front cowl on either side of the car. Where the A pillar meets the body and fender.
Put a garden hose up there and look for water coming out under the car.

2. In the back just in front of the rear wheels on each side there are drain holes. They are easier to see if you remove the plastic ground effects panels.
Believe it or not, it is NORMAL for water to run through the car. What happens is it will enter the front and run through the frame under the plastic rocker panel covers, or whatever they are called, the things that say Mustang on them. If you pop them off, park on an angle with the front up, and flush the front of the car, you can look through holes in the frame and see the water running through there.

The water SHOULD exit at little slits in the rear which are behind the rear side mounted speakers. Water going in from around the metal trim at the edge of the vert top will also collect in here and somehow make it's way to these slits. With the top down if you look in on the side toward the front where the springs and top hydraulic lift tubes are located you might be able to see the slits.
If not, remove the rear seat or the speaker and peek in there and you will see them.

The problem is they clog and then water collects under the rear seat, rear floor pans.

In my case the seam where the passenger side floor pan is welded to the frame (where the water runs through) didn't have enough seam sealer on it so when the water ran through the frame, it never made it to the rear drains and instead ran out into the rear passenger side floor pan making a mess.

Chances are your drains in the rear/front are just clogged. "
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04   #3 (permalink)

I did see this post also, but are there any pictures of this? I have the back seat out and still cannot find the drains.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:14   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Not drains as such , in some cases just small slits to let water escape .
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17   #5 (permalink)

Thanks. Well, its pouring rain right now, so I guess I will go sit in the (removed) back seat that I took out yesterday and see where it is coming from. Thanks for replying!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:33   #6 (permalink)

So i just went out in the rain and it is coming in steadily in the back corners and filling the leather pouch up. I have been sealing this already, just needs a few more coats I guess. But is this the same leak that is getting under the passenger side rug?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:53   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

Some pictures here of drain set up ,

A little convertible help please - 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum