05 mustang with a "surge" problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 20:41   #1 (permalink)

confused 05 mustang with a "surge" problem

I have a 2005 Mustang and I have a problem the dealership can't resolve. On at least 6 different occasions, i will be sitting still, car in drive, foot on the brake and suddenly the engine will rev to what feels like the gas pedal is mashed to the floor. I have tried putting it in Neutral and have even accidentally slipped it into reverse, in my panic, and NOTHING WORKS! This surge lasts for about 30 seconds. You can feel the back of the car wanting to break away and shoot you through the intersection. The dealership says nothing shows up on the "computer" of the car malfunctioning. Ford has replaced the fuel pump and then an inertia switch. After replacing the switch, it was fine for about a year, but it has started this again. Ford claims this is new to them. I am wondering if ANYONE out there has experienced this problem? Any feedback was be greatly appreciated!
matandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 19:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: 05 mustang with a "surge" problem

I own an 05 mustang as well and have a similar problem. If the gas pedal is slightly depressed, the rpm's shoot up as if the throttle is wide open. Ive hooked it up to a computer and it only shows me giving the car 4% throttle. Any help would be appreciated.
dgyuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 20:36   #3 (permalink)

I finally think I'm getting somewhere...after a very heated argument with the Ford tech, I contacted my local dealer who has been trying to solve the problem. The owner met with the local Ford field rep, who suggested the dealership purchase a new "computer" that they will be able to use on many cars, but first they will hook it up to my car and I can keep it on there until this problems happens again. This "computer" is fairly new and can diagnose beyond what the factory computers can. It can get as detailed as to the position of the brake pedal, gas pedal, amount of gas flow, etc at the time of the problem. It also "stores" the information, so I have time to get to the dealership. I should be getting this on my car this week, then I just have to "wait" til "Christine" acts up again! I'll keep you informed!
matandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 14:00   #4 (permalink)

hello all,
This is very interesting, you convinced them to buy a new diagnostic machine?

I have seen similar questions on some other forums that I belong to. They think high revs are normal for startup only.

This may be of some help or interest; Eleanor Mustang

edit* removed link from your signature. If people need insurance I they know where to go...

Last edited by jwko; 10-02-2008 at 14:31. Reason: removed link
lgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum