07 mustang dies while driving starts back up and drives - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 18:44   #1 (permalink)

07 mustang dies while driving starts back up and drives

Bought a new mustang back in 07 v6 and every year since 07 it has died once a year in the month of may and June I've taken it to ford every year and they find nothing now that warranties out they want me to pay and I'm not going to car has 25k on it now and needs some help please thanks Brandon ps car will die while driving put in park and start up and be fine no codes nothing I'm baffled
Blown1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 20:30   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 07 mustang dies while driving starts back up and drives

What's the weather doing in your area that time of year? If it's typically wet, you may have a loose electrical seal.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:40   #3 (permalink)

Check to see if you have spark. If you do not have spark at the plugs, check for spark at the distributor (the coil wire), if you do not have spark there, using a test light, check to see if you have power and ground at the coil. If you have power and ground at the coil, check for a pulsating signal at the coil when you are cranking the engine. If you do not have a pulsating signal, then you did not put in a good distributor. If you have spark then you really need to test fuel pressure. If none of these helps you may have a problem with the ignition module or starter. Changing the ignition module and the starter will correct your problem.
Jeff Collision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 13:11   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Collision View Post
Check to see if you have spark. If you do not have spark at the plugs, check for spark at the distributor (the coil wire), if you do not have spark there, using a test light, check to see if you have power and ground at the coil. If you have power and ground at the coil, check for a pulsating signal at the coil when you are cranking the engine. If you do not have a pulsating signal, then you did not put in a good distributor. If you have spark then you really need to test fuel pressure. If none of these helps you may have a problem with the ignition module or starter. Changing the ignition module and the starter will correct your problem.

Obviously, changing the module and starter may not fix your problem, and your engine does not have a distributor.

If its a automatic, I wonder if it could possibly be the lock up converter solenoid? Does it die when are coming to a stop? Sort of like you are driving with a standard transmission and not mashing the clutch in to stop which kills the engine? Just an idea.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 18:45   #5 (permalink)

Its only gets drove in summer and dies once a year I've heard some guys say it the electronic throttle body it also has died at stop and while driving
Old 07-12-2013, 18:46   #6 (permalink)

Weather is always dry no rain
Old 07-12-2013, 18:48   #7 (permalink)

It dies like you just shut the key off and you put it n park and starts right back up and drive way
Old 07-13-2013, 08:02   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Ignore the advice about the distributor, starter and ignition module. Your car doesn't even have a distributor, and if the starter is turning the engine over, it is most likely functioning properly. The "ignition module" is your PCM.

Do I understand you correctly? The car only dies once or twice a year after sitting all winter? If this is the case, then sitting all winter without proper precaution is probably what causes the problem. Fuel will get stale, your battery will lose charge and fuel varnish will form on the throttle body and fuel injectors. I'm surprised that it only stalls once, or even occasionally, after sitting for so long.

If you cannot drive the car long enough to sufficiently warm the oil (to boil off condensation moisture inside the engine, exhaust, and electrical connections, which could affect the torque converter lock up, mentioned by Catskinner and JWKO) and charge the battery during winter, at least, use fuel stabilizer and trickle charge the battery. Cars deterioate rapidly when sitting for lenghty periods.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48   #9 (permalink)

I've drove the car weeks even months before anything happens so it would be fuel I won't say plus I use stabilizer that's what has me stumped
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49   #10 (permalink)

The car idle extremely low around 500-600 on tach is that normal and when you turn air on at idle it doesn't go up in rpm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum