1965 Mustang Engine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 06:52   #1 (permalink)

Smile 1965 Mustang Engine

I have just acquired a 1965 (1964?) Mustang with a six cyl engine. I have also acquired a 302 V8. Does anyone know if there are any major concerns with replacing the 6cyl engine with the V8? The V8 came out of a 1966 Mustang and I also got the AT that came with the V8.
Thanks
MustangMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 07:18   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 1965 Mustang Engine

If the car originaly came with the 6 cyl, the suspension is not set up for the v8. Motor mounts will need to be changed too. Maybe the cross member for the tranny, but not sure on that.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 15:46   #3 (permalink)

You may have to replace the shock towers also. Because of the added weight of the V-8, stiffer springs and other chassis upgrades are a must.
diggerauditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:51   #4 (permalink)
crazyfordman1

Hi IM doing the same thing with a 68, You have to change everything. suspenion, brakes, rear end, tranny mount. its a fun project but you have to will to do a lot of work. the nice thing is it is a bolt on changes, you dont have to fab anything if you go stock, if you want a list of parts and where to get them cheap new email me anytime, crazyfordman1@verizon.net good luck and have fun!!!
crazyfordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:55   #5 (permalink)
crazyfordman1

one more quick note, the 302 you have did not come out of a 65 mustang, they did not put 302s in mustangs until 68, no real diffreance, just a side note if you are trying to make a orginal 65 v8.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:24   #6 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfordman1 View Post
one more quick note, the 302 you have did not come out of a 65 mustang, they did not put 302s in mustangs until 68, no real diffreance, just a side note if you are trying to make a orginal 65 v8.
They may not have put in a 302, but they also came with the 289. Which block wise is basically the same thing.
Old 05-08-2008, 18:04   #7 (permalink)
crazyfordman1

to respond to "thefonz" I know that the 302 and 289 blocks are just about the same, the only reason i said anything about it is some people want to make a clone and if that is the case then they usually want a block from the year the car was make in witch case the 302 would surly be from a 68 or later.
Old 05-08-2008, 19:08   #8 (permalink)
Always the student

Old 05-27-2008, 06:58   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the great info. I was wondering about the shock towers. I would be greatful for whatever parts connections you have made. I have emailed a couple of on-line stores with no response. I am also actually contemplating a crate motor that boasts 325 hp 302. Also, do you have a suggestion on brakes? I figure if I am changing the brakes, I might go with disc all around. I have checked a couple of on-line shops and it is looking quite expensive for the parts. Thanks again for your help!
MustangMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum