1966 Mustang in Adelaide 1966. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 00:30   #1 (permalink)

1966 Mustang in Adelaide 1966.

I hope this memory might sound familiar to others.In 1966 or 1967 (I was 5 years old)I saw the a Ford Mustang for sale here in Australia.It was in a Chrysler Dealership called "Watkins Chrysler" on Port Road,Albert Park in Adelaide's Western suburbs.It was a 1966 Mustang Hardtop,v8,manual,right hand drive.Paint colour,Tahoe Turquoise.Its possible it was one of the many Mustangs that Ford Australia used to promote the Mustang Bred 1967 96 XR Ford Falcon.

I fell in love with that car.I finally got to look it over when our family drove past there once and we stopped for quite some time.

I never got anyone to take photos at the time.I would love to know if anyone else remembers the car,and,did you have any photos of it while it was still on sale at the time?

The car was parked on the front row at times and had been in a glass display on the corner of the yard.

Whatever happened to that car?

Thanks.
Denv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 08:14   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 1966 Mustang in Adelaide 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denv12 View Post

The car was parked on the front row at times and had been in a glass display on the corner of the yard.

Whatever happened to that car?

Thanks.
Seriously? I'll give you credit on you're devotion, you're wife and friends are probably very lucky to have you in their life for such devotion and dedication, but that car is over 46 years old. As much as I wish that all Mustangs of that era could be salvaged, my guess is that there is a good possibility that you shaved with part of it this morning.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:56   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Time for some detective work! Find out who the dealer sold the car to, then "pound the pavement". Get the VIN from the dealer, then check service and DMV records. Don't quit. That's how "cold cases" are solved.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 16:41   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I'm sorry, I was a bit of an ass this morning, I shouldn't read the Pontiac Forums before this one... I'd see if Watkins Chrysler is still in business, if not, if any of the family members have records. I don't know what the record keeping was like down under in the 60's, but they weren't that great in the US. However, generally things such as cars that were used in promotions, particularly ones that really weren't intended to sell, often had a little more trackability than your typical "on the lot" car.

I'm only about 2 years older than you, and the only car I remember from 1966 was Miss Harding's blue 'Vette. and in 1rst grade, I recognized the hotness of her and the car. Good luck, and again, I apologize.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:21   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Good story .Take a lot of searching but can be done if you put your mind to it . If you are really that keen , good luck . Hope you are successful , but got to remember a lot of cars from that era will have been scrapped , crushed or written off . If you pursue it , let the forum know how you get on ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Watkins Motors in Albert Park in Adelaide - - Adelaide Car Dealers

It looks like the dealership is still in business. That's a good start and a lucky break considering that it's a Chrysler dealership. Good luck, but remember that chasing memories can be like old girlfriends, best left to memories.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:28   #7 (permalink)

Your apology accepted.Thanks Mate.

The business was a chrysler dealership originally until it became a Mitsubishi dealershipAnd,a respectable one at that..Its since been "Portside Mitsubishi".

That yard always had some beautiful cars in there.There were some great Fords over the years.

If this Mustang was one of the batch of Mustangs converted by Ford Australia then I'd be inclined to think its been preserved or restored at some point.I saw a few identical ones on their way to a mustang show here a few years ago.I didnt get time to stop at the show that day.

I'm hoping that someone in a mustang club in Australia might know something about the car and if its still going.I dont know how many Australian Mustangs were sold but I'd bet this one was one of them.It was just that it was in a Chrysler dealership.
Denv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum