1980 Ford Mustang Electrical Probs. HELP!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 12:13   #1 (permalink)
Pedal To The Metal

frown 1980 Ford Mustang Electrical Probs. HELP!!!

Hey Ladies & Gents, ok I've got a 1980 Ford Mustang Ghia. When I bought it, had some problems getting it started. Well finally got it started, and from crankin so much I killed the starter solenoid, CLICK CLICK CLICK. Took it out replaced it, now i can even get any juice to run through the car at all. No lights, No starting, no door ajar buzz NO NOTHING. Battery is pullin 11.95+ volts. Solenoid is fine, swapped out the new one with the old one again, I dont even get the infamous solenoid click anymore, Is it possible I fried a fuse link? I did not do any wiring work on it at all. Maybe I should dig in and inspect the harness? What is the problem? Im at my witts end with this thing. Thank you for your time.

Grim.
grims_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2006, 18:59   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 1980 Ford Mustang Electrical Probs. HELP!!!

I would suspect a fuseable link. Also, possibly a bad connection.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 16:44   #3 (permalink)
Pedal To The Metal

Thanks for your reply Fonz. I am thinking this could be it too. Also I was told to check the points in the distributer. Im about to venture out to the garage and have a look. Even if they are not bad, I will replace them. Start little, Hope to god it isnt big. Would bad points disable a car like this?

And does anybody know what fusable link I should be looking for and where the hell its located. Much appreciated.

Grim
Old 11-09-2006, 03:54   #4 (permalink)
lone_wolf_901

Hey Grim! Had a simular problem happen to me not to long ago when some idiot that need a jump crossed the jumper cables on my end. My truck had the same symptoms as your mustang and it turned out to be a blown 80 amp fuse in the main fuse box located in the engine compartment. It should be marked as starter or ignition. Try that before tinkering with the distributor points. Okay.
Old 11-09-2006, 16:24   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

Unless I am badly mistaken, a 1980 won't have points.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 14:34   #6 (permalink)
Pedal To The Metal

thanks guys. Have been out of town for a few, wasnt so fond of coming back to this problem, but anyhow. Still no progress. I've looked for a fuse panel in the engine compartment, i cant locate it. (scratches head) There is a wire (which has a fuseable link connected) that connects to one of the bigger posts on the starter solenoid, along with the 2 + feeds etc. Could this be it?

On the wiring diagram says there is a fuseable link (wire color yellow) that connects to the solenoid (same wire i speak of above). Could this cause the problem? Would it kill all power to the car, if this fusable link was bad? Says it goes from the solenoid to the alternator.

Im so confused. To think a little a little thing like that can disable a car. Im getting spark off the battery, there should be juice going through the damn thing, but still no power at all. None once so ever. Turn the key, no nothing, no interior light, no cig lighter, no door buzz, no dash lights, again, no nothing. Friggin brake lights dont even work.

GRR I even went out and bought me a chiltons. Doesnt really help when ya dont know what the problems is. And it only speaks of one fuse panel/box, which is located in the car under the dash.

Edit to add. Checked my ground and connections underneath the car. All were cleaned and reconnected.
Old 11-24-2006, 15:42   #7 (permalink)
F-150 Member

Yep, burned fusable link will cause no power to car.

Prove the wire out and see if it is open. If it is open you have two choices. One....get some fusable link wire and replace the burnt wire.
Two....wire a fuse holder in place of the fusable link.

You really need to get someone that is electric savy to help you here.
1997 Ranger
1986 LTD II
1968 Cougar
1964 Corvair Monza
Gearhead99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 17:04   #8 (permalink)
Pedal To The Metal

Thanks alot man. Much appreciated, I do have 2 more question and ill get out of everyones hair

The fuseable link, is actually the black rubber/plastic thing that is tied into the wire? I know they come in diff colors according to guage, but this one is black. Also its a 16 guage link, what would be the right size fuse to use, if i were to wire in a fuse holder?
Old 11-25-2006, 11:31   #9 (permalink)
Pedal To The Metal

O and to add. Im an electrician. LMAO but we dont do fusible links in homes lol. If this damn thing had a fuse box with the links inside it would make this easier. But anyhow yeah, my electric skills are on point. Can anybody answer my questions above? Im about to just go get a roll of fusible link wire (16 guage as the job requires) and a few fuse holders, for good measure, and get r done. I know i will only need one of the two, but having options are good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum