2000 brakes?!?!?!?!? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2006, 06:30   #1 (permalink)

2000 brakes?!?!?!?!?

ok so im new to this site and new to mustangs. i have a 2000 v6. i need to change the brakes in the front and in the rear i know how to do disc brakes. but from everything i've read on here about how to do rear brakes you need a special tool to get the rear piston to go down all the way. you cant use a C clamp?? and does anyone know of any sites on where i can just read up on what im supposes to do, like what size tools im going to need i might need to barrow some from my neigber im living with my girlfriend and i dont have any of my tools with me. and where i can get this tool, do i have to order it or can i buy it at homedepot, pep boys?? i need this information by tuesday thats my only day off for another week and i want to try and get this done before it starts to get shitty out side. so if anyone can help me with any of this i will be very greatful!!!!!! thank you all
sexydylan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 18:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2000 brakes?!?!?!?!?

the caliper screws in . Try stopping a Matco truck or a Mack truck , they are a little cheaper than snap-on brand . I paid about seventy dollars for my kit but that was a few years ago .
Good luck
boilermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 20:07   #3 (permalink)

You may be able to rent or borrow the tool from a local parts store... Pep Boys, NAPA, etc.
Hoofbeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 20:13   #4 (permalink)

thanks guys for the comments. ok so it scews in? why do i need a tool for this? what does the tool help me do i cant just use a c clamp and push it in slowly? there has to be other ways to get it in without this tool? i dunno ill ask the guys at pep boys but im going to bet that they wont know what im talking about and they'll say just use a c clamp and then my pistion with me shot and ill be ****ed. well i dunno thank you guys for the help and if anyone else knows anything else that will help leave a comment!! thanks again
Old 09-01-2006, 20:20   #5 (permalink)

If you have a Pep BPys in your area, they will have the tool and know about it. It is a common service task. You need to get the pistons back into the caliper so that you have room to install new brake pads. The piston keeps "racheting" forward as the pads wear, so that the parking brake will work as intended.

If they say use a C-clamp, go to another store.
Hoofbeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 23:37   #6 (permalink)

don't know if i'm too late, but you can use a pair of pliers to turn the rear pistons back in, i didn't buy a special tool for that, my brakes work fine, and haven't had any problems with them
zader_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:38   #7 (permalink)

ok so i bought the tool and was trying to use it. it was turing clock wises(to the right) and i losened the bolt on top, im pretty sure it was the bleed valuve for the brake line and it wasnt retacting any?!?! i dont get it it was truning but it was going anywhere!! i dont have a book i've been looking at chiltons online and it tells me what to do kinda but no real pictures. the back braks are so bad!! there is only about a 16''of an inch left and the front probably has 1/4 of an inch i need them done bad. im thinking about just taking the pads back and just having someone else do it but i dont know if i can return them and one of the boxes has brake fluid all over it. i had to buy jack stands, front and rear brakes, brake fluid and that damn tool it cost me 110 for everything i proabably could of had someone else do it for close to the same price!! anyways guys please help me out i need to get this done!!why wasnt the piston retracting???? did i losen the wrong bolt???? thanks for all the comments!! oh and if anyone knows where i can find better pictures let me know also.

dylan
Old 09-12-2006, 11:22   #8 (permalink)

You don't need to loosen the bleeder for it to retract. I haven't bled brakes during a brake job (unless air was obviously in the line) in five years. If it's not retracting, it's possible something is not right. Check with the parts store. I paid $10/ea for new calipers for my Crown Victoria.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:23   #9 (permalink)

dude just use a c-clamp it has always worked for me and i have never had any problems
mikesgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:43   #10 (permalink)

Mikesgt is an idiot, ignore him.

Take a pair of pliers, or, since you have a tool use that. Turn the piston clockwise and push in at the same time. That's all you have to do... a C-clamp will not move it at all. It must twist while being pushed shut.
cgyarring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum