2000 mustang 3.8 v6 fuel problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 01:43   #1 (permalink)

Tongue 2000 mustang 3.8 v6 fuel problems

Hi I have recently purchased a 2000 mustang. I'm afraid the previous owner had tinker ides as my dad would say. Anyway they have install a larger mass air flow sensor the computer is supose to be hi performance. It has straight pipes 5 speed manual transmission.
Anyway I have. 2 problems that may be linked first off the car always starts and runs by sometimes the idol is smooth and other times the idol decreases and starts to fluctuate. At these times if I am driving and go to down shift I push the clutch in and the car reves up and the idol wont drop below 2 grand until I come to a complete stop then it idols down below l grand and starts fluctuating again. Weird
Here lately when I punch it I am smelling unburned fuel if I turn on the a/c the fan blows the gas oder into the cab bad. The fuel smell is weird if you have ever smelled octane boost that's what it smells like. I am an old shade tree mechanic and not that familiar with computers and fuel injection but the fuel problem could be an injector o-ring. I am going to check these in the morning. What gaskets will I need? Sorry for rambling but I had to explain it the best that I could. Thanks

Last edited by kensmith; 07-14-2012 at 01:45. Reason: spe
kensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 11:17   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 2000 mustang 3.8 v6 fuel problems

It should be throwing out codes galore. It sounds like the O2 sensors and EGR valve have been bypassed or eliminated at the very least. I suggest you start be tracing out your controls/sensors from the PCM and find out what the tinkerer left for you.

| Repair Guides | Engine Control Systems (2000) | Engine Control Systems (2000) | AutoZone.com
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum