302 boss engine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2005, 16:27   #1 (permalink)

302 boss engine

Ok, so I have got a 94 mustang.... and I actually have just recently began gettin into domestic cars...
I had a 2000 Toyota Celica and It was a nice drivin car... but just not the power I am wanting...
Now i am lookin at different engines and such and I Have a few dollars left from the celica.... and I was wonderin if a 302 Boss Engine would fit into a 94 mustang...
or how much of a job it would be... seeing as how the 94 and 95's have 302's also... well thanks!
94MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2005, 03:52   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: 302 boss engine

Yes a Boss 302 should physically fit in a 94 Mustang. The engine may be a little wider in total as the heads are quite large but Im sure the room would be there.

It would be hard to find one of those engines though and it would be very expensive if you are talking about a genuine one.
Old 06-23-2005, 14:58   #3 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

you could always build ya a 'clevor'...cleveland headed windsor- very 'similar' to the Boss 302, except not all top shelf parts- heres a link:

http://www.themustangshop.com/index.cfm?pg=/clevor.cfm

the link is to 351 mod, but think its the exact same block- anyone out there know off top of their head if 302/351w have same deck height? I think they do...
you could always do the 351 while youre at it, but have you thought about simply adding a Paxton /Vortech blower to what you have?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:49   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4v429
you could always build ya a 'clevor'...cleveland headed windsor- very 'similar' to the Boss 302, except not all top shelf parts- heres a link:

http://www.themustangshop.com/index.cfm?pg=/clevor.cfm

the link is to 351 mod, but think its the exact same block- anyone out there know off top of their head if 302/351w have same deck height? I think they do...
you could always do the 351 while youre at it, but have you thought about simply adding a Paxton /Vortech blower to what you have?
The 351w has higher deck than 302. Intake manifolds won't interchange because of that.

Blower has gotta be good though.
Old 06-25-2005, 14:56   #5 (permalink)

Like a blower that sticks out of the hood?... you could do that with a 94 mustang?
and umm,
i guess another thing would be like..
the boss 302 is the same size obviously... but pushes out 60 more horse power... why is this?
Could i just modify the 5 litre that comes with it so it is the same type of thing as the boss 302?
Old 06-25-2005, 20:45   #6 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

<the boss 302 is the same size obviously... but pushes out 60 more horse power... why is this?>

Dont forget that the boss302 was a engine for a production car- had to meet durability/warranty concerns...you could put a hundred or two extra horses by just adding nitrous, but after a few minutes of use, something in the bottom end might give out. Ford put the best they had into the B302 bottom end so it could both perform well, and last a long time.

the Boss302 was a kinda hybrid engine-probably wouldnt bolt in place of a windsor- valve covers on a windsor are 5" wide, 6" on a cleveland- so you can imagine its a lot wider, and I dunno but doubt exhaust/headers would fit up without work. The 302 Boss used the heaviest 4 bolt main short /mid deck 302 windsor block Ford had, with a variation of the canted valve Cleveland heads. With the high flowing heads, I guess it was quite the screamer in its day...I think it came about as 69 trans-am series races were limited to 5 litres, so Ford and Chevy both built some high revving 302 inchers for racing, that trickled onto the street as Boss302 and Z28 302's. By the way, I think Ford kicked some butt that year didnt they?

You can put cleveland heads on a 302, but thats probably the easy part- I'm not sure if you need costom pistons, or if standards can just be re-notched for the canted valves, custom pushrods or not, etc...heres a place that sells adapters for putting 351C-2V heads on a 302:

http://www.pricemotorsport.com/Intak...-09/ap-09.html

Im kinda thinking about trying this out just because I still have a set of early 351C2V heads, and a 302 Edelbrock manifold- and a guy at work offered to give me a 302 shortblock thats supposedly only needs cleaned up...we'll see. The thought of intake manifold spacers sounds like asking for a vacuum leak though. Might be cheap partswise to do this at first glance, but considering its kinda off-the-wall combo, things like custom notched pistons, special length pushrods and such might make it costly or difficult to piece together.

with the aftermarket heads available these days, most guys seem to go that route, personally I kinda like Iron heads, as the headgaskets *might* hold up better if block/heads are same material-same expansion rates...these days gaskets seen to handle this pretty well though.

Regarding the blower, a paxton or vortech will go right under the hood- but think youre looking at 3~4k for a complete kit(just guessing)
Old 06-29-2005, 12:49   #7 (permalink)

what do you mean blower thou... could I get a link to one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum