5.0 Coolant Leak/White Smoke Advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 09:46   #1 (permalink)

5.0 Coolant Leak/White Smoke Advice

Hello all. I'm new to the forum but have enjoyed reading many of the tech tips so far. Now I find myself needing some advice. I recently replaced the valve cover gaskets on my '91 5.0. During that job I also removed the throttle body (not due to coolant leak just for cleaning purposes) and then replaced the throttle body to EGR gasket. After restarting the motor I had a steady coolant leak coming from the throttle body/EGR gasket on to the valve cover along with a ton of white exhaust smoke from all the coolant no doubt being sucked through the intake. After removing the throttle body and gasket I realized the leak was from my failure to get every last bit of the old gasket off. I re-scraped getting a fully clean surface and re-installed the throttle body. At this time, I also temporarily by-passed my EGR coolant line. I obviously had a lot of coolant contamination in my oil as it looked very milky and my 5.0 now looks like a fog machine. I was hoping a fresh oil change would help clear up my heavy white smoke problem but, not the case. I know there should not be any new leaks from my EGR plate since I currently have the coolant hose bypassed. How can I get my 5.0 running clean again? The engine sounds normal but how can I purge it of the coolant contamination? Thanks for any advice you've got for this amateur shade tree-er. Mark
FoMoCoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 09:50   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 5.0 Coolant Leak/White Smoke Advice

Sure it's not a head gasket gone ? Is the cooling system over pressurising ?
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:07   #3 (permalink)

Well, at this point, I really can't say with certainty that it isn't either of those two suggestions. However, I know that before my V/C gasket repair I didn't have any coolant leaks so it would seem like a big coincidence for a head gasket to go right at start up after the V/C gasket job. I have to believe the smoke is due to the original EGR gasket leak. As for over pressurized cooling system, would bypassing my EGR spacer cause that condition to occur? I was hoping that most of the coolant contamination came out during the oil change. I'm assuming that there is not a second condition contributing to the white smoke now. I just have no idea how long that one leak should continue to cause smoke if there's no longer a current leak. The car probably ran for a few minute as I first detected the original leak.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:22   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

As you suggest it could just be coolant still in exhaust system , sometimes it takes a good blast down the motorway / highway to dry it up and clear system . Thats if no leaks and cooling system o.k .

P.s
Take it you changed the oil filter also ?
Old 10-21-2011, 16:46   #5 (permalink)

Yes, I did change the filter also. Looks like your advice on the test run did the trick. After a drive to the gas station for a fill up, there was still some white smoke but not nearly as much. I then took it for a strong 15-20 minute drive and after that the smoke was gone and my idle fumes are clear again. I reconnected my EGR coolant lines, checked one more time for leaks and I'm back in business. Thanks!!
Old 10-22-2011, 02:14   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Glad to help , thanks for update .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum