65 Mustang Coup wheel and tire help needed please. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 15:29   #1 (permalink)

65 Mustang Coup wheel and tire help needed please.

We are restoring a 65 coupe, I6, automatic with manual steering.

We are going to do a Scarebird front drum to disc conversion. The question we have is regarding wheel and tire size before we get the disc conversion kit.

We are thinking 15x7 wheel with a 4.0" backspace and P225/60R15 tires. In a perfect world we would use 17 inch rims as we like the way the set with the car, a very nice look.

For those of you who have the experience:
will we lose a lot of power going from the stock 14 inch wheels with 205/70-14s that came on it when we bot it to the larger rims and the P225/60R15 tires?

What would it take to use the 17 inch rims? Are we just giving up too much power to get the look?

What other advice can you give me, we will take all the guidance we can get. We do not have a lot of money to spare and need to get it on the road as quick as we can, just to keep you fully informed.

Thank you for the help in advance.
guysdigdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 17:54   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 65 Mustang Coup wheel and tire help needed please.

To keep tire height inline with the wheel wells, you're probably looking at a 225/45-17's. The key to how it effect the mileage lies more in the total height or diameter of the tire over the size of the rim. Your bigger problem may be your lugs. If you have the 4 bolt rim, there's not much out there and you'll have to make the switch to a 5 bolt, with those, Discount Tire may have something you like.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum