67 Mustang transmission advice, please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 07:29   #1 (permalink)

Question 67 Mustang transmission advice, please

Hello,

First, I have access to two free 5 speed transmissions. One is from a 1981 rear wheel drive Toyota Celica, and the other is from a 1988 front wheel drive Toyota Camry. I believe the transmission model for the Celica is a W50, and this tranny has been put into various other cars according to an Australian company called Dellow Automotive. However, I cannot find information on whether either one of these transmissions can be put into a 67 Mustang.

So...from what kind of car can I take a 5 speed manual transmission and put it into a 1967, 200 ci, V6, 3 speed manual transmission Mustang? Since I cannot get info on the two transmissions that I do have, then I figure maybe I should just start looking for some other type of car (wrecked and being scrapped) from which I can take the 5 speed transmission. Does anyone know?

Also, does anyone know what kind of "kit" I might need to make this tranny fit into the 67 Mustang? If you do know of a "kit", then can you tell me where to find it?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Gayle
suffolkpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 08:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: 67 Mustang transmission advice, please

your best bet would probably be finding a late model Mustang 5 speed and finding the correct bellhousing to bolt to the 200.
FEAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 19:23   #3 (permalink)
Ranger Member

roll Re: 67 Mustang transmission advice, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolkpony
1967, 200 ci, V6, 3 speed manual transmission Mustang?
First off if you have a V6 then it is not a stock engine. The 200 ci engine is an inline 6cyl. Good luck finding a 5 speed to bolt up to it. fd
96 Aerostar 4.0
67 Mustang GT 289 4 speed
07 Mustang GT
Ford Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 15:20   #4 (permalink)

Re: 67 Mustang transmission advice, please

In no case will a front wheel drive transmission work. The Celica could be made to fit, maybe. But you better be able to fabricate stuff from scratch or have a REALLY good friend who can. I've never heard of someone using a Toyota transmission. You'll be on your own.
There was a writeup out there on adapting the bellhousing to fit a later model Mustang (85-93) 5 speed to a 200. The 200/250 engines have their own unique bellhousing patterns that nothing else will bolt directly up to. The writeup seems to have vanished. But I bet some of the guys over here will know where it went or have some more ideas for you. Ford Six Performance: The Web's Leading Resource for Ford Inline Six-Cylinder Engines and Cars!
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum