83 mustang lx 4cyl to 351w swap. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 22:58   #1 (permalink)

83 mustang lx 4cyl to 351w swap.

bassically i have two comeplete vehicles.
a 1993 f150 5.8l truck. with tons of edelbrock bolt ons.

and a 1983 mustang lx with a messed up 4 cylinder engine.

the truck is efi. the car i believe is carb.
Im am more then willing to take the time to swap anything and everything, that i need to. I want to keep efi. Better to me. and better in long run.

would swaping the computer, wire harness, fuse boxes. and make the car a 5.8l truck, just with a mustang shell work.
is it possible to start from the gas tank and run new lines. could i use my truck's fuel pump for the car. the truck uses both the dual spark two, and new ignition system. how could I upgrade my ignition system?
or could i get a certain computer from a junk yard that would work great for my application?
i do realize that my hood isnt going to fit on my car. I already have that tooken care of. Im going to use the racing transmission from the truck.
what things would i have to take with it.
the trucks gear change is on the steering wheel. how would i go about getting it to the floor stick. btw it is automatic. just need to change from park to drive and whatnot. also would the power steering pump n the 5.8l work with the car rack and pinion set? also could i use the gears from the trucks differential in the car. would i be risking to much power in the car. and possibly twisting my rear end? or what could i use in the truck to prevent that.
i think thats all for now with questions. and thanks for any help i may recieve.
JohnryanH228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 15:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: 83 mustang lx 4cyl to 351w swap.

get an 87 gas tank that has sending uint in it wire a toggle switch and a sepate return line
devans2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 15:52   #3 (permalink)

i have the oppite my 351w in my87 coupe is feed by carb
Old 05-04-2010, 15:58   #4 (permalink)

my steering pump does work ...... but the one thing to watch out for is the front of the oil pan will hit on swaybar i drop my swaybar 2"
Old 05-05-2010, 08:49   #5 (permalink)

You may want to check also that the rear end in the Mustang is not a 7.5 inch. I don't recall when the switch was made to have all Mustangs have the 8.8, but an 83/4 cyl may be a likely candidate to have the old smaller 7.5. If you're going to swap things ,amy as well swap in an 8.8, they are plentiful.
oogieboogiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum