87 5.0 mustang trouble on hot start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 13:24   #1 (permalink)

confused 87 5.0 mustang trouble on hot start

can anybody help with this problem. cold start no problem and hot start it starts then dies. It takes a second or third try.
francescova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 08:36   #2 (permalink)
Thing 1

Re: 87 5.0 mustang trouble on hot start

The computer advances timing when the car is warm, so determine that it is not an ignition issue. The timing may be off or you may have a worn timing chain and or gears. By checking your timing (don't forget to unhook the spout), you will eliminate one of the most likely causes. There could be a list of other items to- such as bad plugs, bad wires, ect.

Next, check fuel pressure and fuel filter. From there we need more info on the symptoms.

:)
1meanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:12   #3 (permalink)

Smile Re: 87 5.0 mustang trouble on hot start

Thanx a lot I will try that and get back to you
Old 01-12-2009, 12:54   #4 (permalink)

Thanx a lot I'll try that. I've already changed the plugs, wires,starter
Old 01-24-2009, 07:22   #5 (permalink)

One thing often overlooked is battery and cable condition and connections. Any corrosion or loose connections increase the resistance in the line. First, take each connection loose, sand/scrape/wire brush it clean, apply some vaseline or dielectric grease to the connection and tighten. Do this for each connection from the battery, to the soleniod, to the starter and ground. As heat gets to these cables, the resistance also goes up, and original factory cables are just heavy enough to handle the current. Consider upgrading to the next size cable. Also, get your battery load tested at your local auto supply store. They'll do it for free. They should also be able to test your charging system for problems. The connection between your alternator and battery should also be clean and tight. Remember, stock alternators are borderline adequate at best, and when you add bad connections or aftermarket items that drain your system, the alternator might not be able to keep up, especially at idle and espectially if you're running underdrive pulleys that slow the alternator even more. Hope this helps.
swenglert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:25   #6 (permalink)
Thing 1

You brought up a good point and I would like to add to that. Check the ground tab on the frame of the car directly in front of the strut tower on the driver's side. My Dad's Capri would not start once because this connection was dirty.
1meanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 16:26   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: 87 5.0 mustang trouble on hot start

I replaced both cables last year but I'll check and clean those to thanx a lot guys really appreciate the help and I will get back as soon as its solved
Old 06-15-2009, 08:53   #8 (permalink)

could be leaking fuel injectors when you changed spak plugs where any wet with gas
keith28fykerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:01   #9 (permalink)

Check the cap and rotor too, and also all the vaccum lines under the hood for any leaks.
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum