87 Mustang 390 motor no oil pressure? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 15:09   #1 (permalink)

87 Mustang 390 motor no oil pressure?

i have a 87 Mustang with a 390 in it that came out of a 69 galaxie 500. the other day i went to start it and it was kinda hard to start but usually is cuz my carb is kinda fudge up i notice i had no oil pressure and the motor was making a ticking noise i called the guy who i got it from and he said to change oil filter and then see he also said thers a new oil pump in it so that should be good any other suggestions on what im looking at the motor was rebuilt 500 miles ago
87Mustang390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 00:05   #2 (permalink)
Thing 1

Re: 87 Mustang 390 motor no oil pressure?

No oil pressure is a big thing.

First- I would try to check that the gauge for the oil pressure is correct and functional first to be sure that you just didn't have a wire fall off or a bad ground.

2nd- pop out the distributor and make sure oil pump shaft and or drive on the bottom of the distributor is not broken.

3rd. None of these- be ready to drop your wallet- I mean oil pan.

I have also seen guys rebuild engines and forget to put a cleanout plug back in a head or in the wrong spot and have these symptoms too.
1meanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 16:18   #3 (permalink)

I would agree 1meangt, I would pull the distributor and make sure the oil pump rod is even there, let alone broke. I have seen people who changed oil pumps and FORGOT to re-install the rod or even had pulled the distributor and the rod fell into the oil pan.
myblue79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:23   #4 (permalink)

there are press in plugs in the oiling system on these engines under the intake manifold,
were oil is fed to the lifters. i know of someone who had the same problem after a rebuild on a 390 in a 66' fairlane.
high oil press. causes them to blow out, they look like a small freeze/welch plug in a water jacket,
anyone doing a rebuild on these engines, i recomment taping threads and use a threaded pipe plug, a machine shop can also do this while they have your block.
keith28fykerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:04   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith28fykerd View Post
there are press in plugs in the oiling system on these engines under the intake manifold,
were oil is fed to the lifters. i know of someone who had the same problem after a rebuild on a 390 in a 66' fairlane.
high oil press. causes them to blow out, they look like a small freeze/welch plug in a water jacket,
anyone doing a rebuild on these engines, i recomment taping threads and use a threaded pipe plug, a machine shop can also do this while they have your block.
I've seen where someone did a rebuild and drove one in over the other one and blocked up the passageway.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:45   #6 (permalink)

please post some photos of your engine bay- I would love to see it and I imagine I'm not the only one. I've heard of a lot of different engine swaps into stangs - but thats the first time I've ever heard of someone putting an FE style motor in one. It's actually a pretty cool choice, definately unique and probably runs it's butt off (depending on which 390 it is)
Cole327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:46   #7 (permalink)

whoops you said what it came outta.
Cole327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum