'97 mustang V6 to V8 Conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2003, 19:54   #1 (permalink)

'97 mustang V6 to V8 Conversion

Hello all,
I have a '97 Mustang with the 3.8L and after driving a GT i was wondering if it is possible, and if so how easy it would be to drop either a 302 or a 351 in it. Another question i have about the same car. I have a 5 speed in it, and was wondering if it is a T5 or a T45. And if that would make any differance in the upgrade? I'm looking for any help i can get to make this conversion as smooth as possible. If anyone out there has done this process and ran into any problems, or found any tricks, i would REALLY appreciate the help. Thank you in advance for any help you can contribute. You can either reply to this post, or e-mail me at metalguy68@charter.net
Metalguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2003, 07:25   #2 (permalink)

There is a lot of hassle involved. Plumbing for everything must be replaced, along with wiring length change's, and all your bracket's must be changed or modified. The computer must also be modified or changed to accomadate the V/8.
The transmission is more than likely the "Mazda" design which would probably do the job as long as you don't abuse it. Ford didn't in stall the T5 behind the V/6.
http://fordexp.freehomepage.com/photo3.html
big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 22:24   #3 (permalink)
v8stang289

97 engine swap

not to mention ford changed the k-member in 96 to fit the 3.8 and 4.6 engine( meaning your k/member will not accomodate a 302 or 351). and as big1 stated the wiring harness will have to be changed, as well as the computer. It will take a lot of effort, but it is possible:-)
(change the t45 to the t5 or it wont work)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum