98 mustang 3.8 to carbed v8 engine swap? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 20:26   #1 (permalink)

Garage
98 mustang 3.8 to carbed v8 engine swap?

ok, heres the chaser. I got a 98 mustang, with a 3.8 V6 and a 5 speed. Now im not real sure on the trans type, but I think its a T-45 (clarify please?). its got 180K+ miles on it (still kicking good, but has it days though) I've had this car about half a year, and its been through hell with it previous owners (in a accident, smashing a fender, 1/4 panel, destroying the CCRM and its wiring, scorching its wire harness, and ruining the gas tank, followed by a two year sitting period before I snabbed it up for $100, or it gets crushed)

Heres what I have for it: a 5.0 H.O. salvaged from a wrecked cougar, with a .030 bore job, and valve cut pistons. I was thinking about taking the motor and putting it in the 98.

now I know the question will be raised about the K-member, And I have a stock oil pan, and a fox-body oil pan. and as for the engine mounts, I have a welder, and a maintence shop at my job that isnt afraid to do some re-working on a part or make one, and are quick to understand a blueprint.

for the ignition system I was thinking about running a regular dis. with a MSD blaster/blaster 2 type coil, with a vac advance.

a regular intake such as one offered by jegs or summit racing, probably a dual plane so i could leave my options to improve later on open.

carb I was going to leave up to edel. with probably something in the basic 650CFM range for starters.

my biggest head-ache i think with the motor after install will probably be what kind of belt and pully system to run. V-belt, or flat belt. and I really care for just a alternator, and probably will want to keep the P.S. (my old t-bird didnt have it, long drives were a pain, litterally, after a while)

I know the question may arise about going from EFI to carb with the fuel system, but I was thinking a aeromotive regulator set at about 6.5psi should keep the fuel down to a manageable, but healthy fuel flow if im thinking right

one of my other concerns arise with the trans/cluth/flywheel problem, im stumped there. budget limits me from getting a new trans to toss into the car, so i may be stuck with stock for the time being on the trans (i dont have a spare 2 grand for a fancy tremec) so any thoughts there would be nice.
ScitzoFitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 21:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: 98 mustang 3.8 to carbed v8 engine swap?

Hi, will this vehicle have to pass any smog laws where you're at?
Old 10-31-2010, 10:06   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Re: 98 mustang 3.8 to carbed v8 engine swap?

no smog laws attached. im in iowa, and my car is regestered to my native tribe. neither of which do test on cars
ScitzoFitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum