98 Mustang Front Caliper Grief - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 12:34   #1 (permalink)

mad 98 Mustang Front Caliper Grief

So, all 3 brakes are done and all I had left was the front driver's side. I managed to partially strip the head on the Torx screw and can't get the darn thing out now - any suggestions on how to bust it loose? I read a couple of different sources that recommended using JB Weld to fuse the socket in there and then go to town cranking on it, but I have no clue how effective that is - anybody else run into a similar dilemma? This is definitely not an instance where a screw extractor could be used and I don't have access to an angle grinder. Thanks!
luv2per4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 17:19   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 98 Mustang Front Caliper Grief

Angle grinders are a dime a dozen....

Anyway, you may have to replace the caliper. The bolts can occasionally be worked loose, but damage to the caliper trying to remove the broken torx can be just as bad and cause uneven brake wear down the road which you'll have to replace it anyway, on top of buying a couple sets of pads and rotors needlessly. If you have a tap & die set you can use that. However, a lot of cheaper kits that you can get may not be able to handle the heavier steel if you drill out the torx and thread a hole for a new one.

I've never heard of JB Weld, but I'm sure if you googled your problem you may get a ton of possible answers that may work without having to get a new caliper.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 18:02   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 98 Mustang Front Caliper Grief

I thought JB Weld was known worldwide. Comes in 2 tubes, mix equal parts & hurry up and stick it. It's basically the same as liquid steel. It works as long as both parts are clean and you allow for proper drying time.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum