Anyone else experiencing issues with the v6 auto transmission? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 11:48   #1 (permalink)

Anyone else experiencing issues with the v6 auto transmission?

I bought my Mustang in March of 2011 brand new.

I began noticing trouble shifting and that the car would "surge" or push and pull with every gear shift. After 5 months and two visits to Ford they decided to replace the entire transmission because the valve body part (supposedly a valve was stuck) was on national back order and it had been at the shop for 3 weeks. The first repair they tried to perform was replacing the mass air flow sensor. This only made this issue worse and I called the service manager the same day I picked it up. My original complaint was that the vehicle seemed to have trouble shifting and would fall out of gear. Their first solution was the mass air flow sensor which turned a previously inconsistent issue into a very, very consistent issue. I brought the vehicle right back and was stuck with a second rental car. By the time I received my vehicle back, I had 3 rental cars in 3 and a half weeks. This, again, was after 5 months or 11K miles.

16,000miles later, or 1 year, the same issues return. This time I bring it into Ford and it remains there for 4 days while they replace the solenoid pack and the drivers seat track (minor issue). Apparently the solenoids, a component of the valve body, failed -- again.

I pick the vehicle up and then turn around to bring it right back as the "surging" or push / pull was still occurring -- this time, more consistent. However, when I went on a test drive with the rep, it didn't happen. They took the car back for one more night / morning of tests and said everything was okay.

I drove it a few times in a period of 3 days and the erratic behavior still persists but only within the first 5 minutes of driving it. Now I know that you should let a car sit after turning it on but I have owned 5 cars and driven plenty (a total of 6 rental cars from Ford) and never experienced this kind of behavior just because the 'temperature" needs to warm up. Not to mention, myself and this car both reside in a very hot climate -- Florida to be specific. The Mustang didn't perform this way previously, nor has any other car I've ever owned -- including manual transmission vehicles. When I called Ford, the dealership, I was told this was normal. When I called Ford Customer Service, I was told this was most definitely not normal and with as many issues as I have had, I am likely a candidate for the buy back program or CA lemon law (car was purchased in CA).

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior and performance? Also, how long does a buy back program take? I am supposed to move back to CA for work by January and now I have a giant paperweight that I'm still paying for to deal with.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Order of repairs:

1. Mass Airflow Sensor -- Issue not fixed, car brought back immediately
2. Full replacement of the transmission assembly -- Issue temporarily fixed
3. Solenoid pack replaced
4. Driver seat motorized track replaced
5. brought back again for the issue described above and told it is normal (but Ford corporate said it wasn't)

Note: I have every service record for ever single thing that has be done to this vehicle. It has only ever been worked on at Ford and has been at a Ford dealership for a cumulative of over 30 days. I fear this saga isn't over unless I am free of this car. I am a small younger female and would hate to be in the vehicle if the transmission or something fails at high speeds while driving across the country.
jldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 17:41   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Anyone else experiencing issues with the v6 auto transmission?

You say that it is surging and pulling, as in an increase in power or is the engine trying to rev up but no response from the drive?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:11   #3 (permalink)

Well it's shifting. You can feel it revving up and preparing to shift and then you can feel it "let go" and pull backwards as it shifts into another gear. Kind of like a rubberband effect, I suppose.

I was trying to figure out the best way to explain this... I found this video on another thread from another site and it is identical to the issue I am experiencing.

jldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Although the transmission is new, it sounds like the transmission has low line pressure, or sticking accumulators. Have the dealer check the transmission line pressure first. Don't overlook a blocked or kinked cooler line. I am not as current on Ca law as I once was, but unless changed, the lemon law must be exercised within 12,000 miles or one year. I don't know about Fla.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum