audio help? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 09:12   #1 (permalink)

audio help?

hey guys i have a 2002 ford mustang convertible. i just got a new head unit its a jvc. ( found here JVC - 50W x 4 MOSFET CD Deck with MP3 Playback and Detachable Faceplate - KDG230 )

anyway i believe i have the stock mach 1 audio head unit in. i realize that this isn't as simple as i had planned. i have almost 10-15 wires going into that and the new head unit only has about 7. (not too sure on the numbers) is there any steps on how to change the head units. any help would be greatly appreciated.
avp7x315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 13:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: audio help?

Well, you have two routes you can take. You can go to your local car audio dealer and ask them for the installation kit and wiring harness for your model year and that'll make it a breeze, or you can start hacking wires, blow fuses and have a 10 min job turn into a 10 hour job. I would suggest you do the former because all you have to do is match the colors from your new stereo to the colors of the wiring harness.

If memory serves, if the '02 has two separate units (Radio and CD player) you remove both and put a pocket in the lower area. If it's a double din (I can't quite recall when they switched from a two din configuration to a double din config) configuratiion, the kit will provide the pocked and a place to hold the radio. It shouldn't be too bad, but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Oh, just so you know, you're taking a high-output head unit and feeding it into factory amplifiers so you may not be able to turn it up too loud. Make sure you hook up the remote turn on (typically the blue or blue/white wire) to trigger the amps to turn on. Be careful NOT to use the power antenna lead because that will turn off when you switch from radio to cd and your amps will turn off.
alajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum