Ford Forums banner

Auto or Manuel

4K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  Wade Buchanan 
#1 ·
Auto or Manual

Hey,
I guess it depends on if you can drive a stick shift or not. But, I was wondering what you guys thought. Would you recommend a manual or a auto in a 99-01 GT?? PLZ VOTE WHILE YOU ARE HERE!

The manual seems to be faster when racing but if I were to get an auto I wouldn't have to worry about all the shifting :)

Autos seem kinda boring... Point and hit the gas :s2:

G
#2 ·
:noNO: :noNO: :noNO: No to the automatic. IMHO, of course. It depends on the type of driving you will do. If you spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic, it can be murder on the clutch. Personally, I'll buy a new clutch. :hy:

#3 ·
Hey!! Guess what I just found in Evansville!! A 99' Mustang SVT Cobra for $19,995!!

:p ITS BLACK!! Looks "MEAN"

* Photo Included! * Has Warranty! * This late model two door vehicle includes Power Steering, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Power Driver's Seat, Cassette Player, Premium Sound System, Reclining Seats, and Power Lumbar Seat(s).

Features

Limited Slip Differential; 5 MPH Bumpers; CFC-Free Air Conditioning; Custom Wheels; Driver Depowered Air Bag; Front Fog Lights; Front Shoulder Seatbelts; Passenger Depowered Air Bag; Power Door Locks; Rear Defroster; Rear Shoulder Seatbelts; Tilt Steering Wheel; Air Conditioning; Power Steering; Power Brakes; Power Door Locks; Power Windows; Cassette Player; Gauge Cluster; Clock; Trip Odometer; Tachometer; Air Conditioning; Tilt Steering Wheel; Cruise Control; Tinted Glass; Interval Wipers; Rear Defroster; Remote Trunk Lid; Driver Side Airbag; Console; Carpeting; Vanity Mirror; Day-Night Lever; Front Bucket Seats; Reclining Seats; Security System; Power Drivers Seat; Courtesy Lights; Leather Upholstery; Power Lumbar Seats; CD Player; Anti-Lock Breaking System; Passenger Side Airbag; Premium Sound System; Dual Remote Mirrors; Traction Control; Theft Deterrent System;

#5 ·
My dad has driven manuals his whole life and he said he can teach me... I already know how... I just might screw up and grind it a few times... Then I should be fine after I get used to it...

WISH ME LUCK!!

#7 ·
I think my dad will probably have me drive around the neighborhood (BIG) for practice until I get my license(illegally :)). I don't know of any schools around here, but if I do screw up the clutch I will just buy a new one... I don't have an old car to practice with caus my step-sister just got hit by a UPS truck in here old manuel celica. :s3 It took the front end off but thankfully she is OK.

#8 ·
Crap,
I just noticed I forgot to make a poll and now it won't let me make one... :dead:

Does anyone know how high the insurance would be on a 99' SVT Cobra for a 15 yr old?? I won't be driving it until the end of this year when I turn 16.

#9 ·
Far more than you want to pay

Wade,

I'm sure that Insurance will be far more than you want to pay. I am 22, married, get multi-car discount, have no tickets/accidents and drive a 2001 Bullitt. My insurance is ~ $170/mo.

I would guess yours will be at least $200/mo.

ps. GO manual, way more fun, easier and cheaper to work on.

#10 ·
Insurance

Do you think my insurance would be at least $200 because of my age?? If I was you age do you think it would be lower than yours?? Probably...

WELL, MY DAD TOOK ME ON A TEST DRIVE AND I HAVE TO SAY... THE CAR KICKS ASS. IT IS BLACK WITH TINTED WINDOWS AND BRAND NEW COBRA R WHEELS. IT ALSO HAD BRAND NEW TIRES. MY DAD GOT IT UP TO SPEED AND IT RAN GREAT. HE SAID HE WAS LOOKING FOR A CAR FOR UNDER $18,500 TOPS. But, this is the cheapest 99' Cobra I have ever seen!!

BAD NEWS: Some guy was trading a GT in while we were looking at the Cobra... When we left he was still looking at it, I got a feeling my dream car just slipped away... :err:

#11 ·
Your best bet is to check out insurance prices online (Geico, Progressive, etc.)

Also, check out your dad's current insurance, as the more cars you have on one policy the cheaper rates you can get.

I don't know if your insurance would be cheaper than mine if you were 22.

I assume we're talking about the difference in a brand new car and a 2 year old one.

I have noticed in researching insurance that GT's and Cobras are listed seperately so the rates for a Cobra could be a little higher???

#12 ·
HELL YES

I think a Cobra would be a little bit more than a GT... But the thing is... This 99 Cobra costs less than a new GT sooooo... adding up the Cobra and the insurance on it... and the price of a newer GT and the insurance... It should be about the same...

But, I don't know much about insurance and crap

G
#13 ·
You'd think so, but it doesn't work that way. Insurance is based on a LOT of things, including the cost of the vehicle, the cost of replacing parts, the amount of damage they sustain in an accident, the statistics on how often they get into accidents, the driver's age, etc. Cobra will be more. :sad:

It's an imperfect world in which we live. Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

#15 ·
Insurance

Don't you guys like the look of the Cobra more than the GTs??? I mean... The hood, wing, front fascia, etc... Plus this one had brand new Cobra R wheels on it...

G
#16 ·
Definitely. I'm not a big fan of the fake hood scoop, nor the fake side scoops. I live with them, though. I seem to remember a problem with the 99's... don't remember if it was with the GT's, Cobra's, or both. I keep hearing about "the fix." Something you may want to look into.

Can anyone shed some more light on the 99 fix?

#18 ·
Autos not necessarily for girls

I agree, Mustangs should only come with manuals (6-speed at that).

But, are they for girls???

No, my wife has driven manuals her entire life, in fact when she drives my Bullitt she regularly kicks ricer a**, the car has a lot to do with it but she can definitely drive.

I still will always prefer manuals but some amazing things are being done with autos today.

G
#19 ·
I disn't say manuals were not for girls. But the main reason autos are offered is to widen the market for the car - SOME girls - and of course those girly-men! Now I've really done it - ha ha) Lighten up and drive what you like - I just prefer the manual in a pony car. Six speeds would be great!

#22 ·
Wade mate, how you gunna afford 20grand (40grand aussie WHOOOOO) for your first car? The petrol alone would empty your pockets dry in order for you to fill the tank. With insirance though, the best bet is to get your old folks to insure it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.