Buying a 67 soon, need help.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2002, 02:22   #1 (permalink)

Question Buying a 67 soon, need help..

Hey people, im in the process of hunting down a 67 or 68 Fastback. I'm getting rid of my 00 celica to buy this so I'm not looking for a major project. I'll have about 13,000 to 14,000 to spend total, so...would it be best to find a good and restored one and have it shipped to me...or...buy one with a good body, not so good engine and trans., and then replace the engine and trans. brand new?? I cant decide! I want power and im leaning toward the replacing engine and trans. new,, this will be a daily driver (not a commuter or anything) so what do y'all recommend engine wise? (mean power but not a drag car). I want a 5 speed. So..any advise on a good engine & trans (price range too), and what some of the key cautions are to look for in buying a obviously used mustang will be appreciated. (sorry bout the long message)
Thanks ahead of time, and i'm glad i finally found a good ford forum!

-Chris
chrisquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2002, 11:22   #2 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Since you want to drive this car and have expectations of it acting somewhat like your existing car, I recommend you look for the best 'Stang you can find that is restomod with TCP coil over suspension, TCP rack and pinion, 5 speed, etc. These old cars are eye catchers but without modern suspension and steering they won't live up to your expectations. Look in California, they have the largest lot of good cars for sale. It may take some time to find the right car - don't be in a hurry.
geegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 22:13   #3 (permalink)

Good point, my celica was lowered 2" and i hated the ride. So how much is the complete suspention set up your talkign about? and any engine reccomendations like i was asking before?
Old 01-22-2002, 06:11   #4 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

The 302 and the 351w are my engines of choice for old Mustangs. Both of these engines continue to be main line products. I regard the others as "collectible" engines, meaning they have history behind them but don't offer much in the way of support.
Old 01-22-2002, 17:59   #5 (permalink)

If I were to aim for about 400+ hp, after some mods (nothing too drastic) which engine would be most ideal and could the 302 or 351 even get there? And i havent gotten this far yet, but what does a new engine like that cost on average? and a new 5 speed trans.?
Old 01-22-2002, 18:50   #6 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

If you decided to go 302 crate engine, Summit sells a FRPP 320hp version for about $3200. The 351w is a 385hp engine for about $4,900. You can find salvage 351w and achieve similar results for quite a bit less. Assume the core would cost about $400 then you could rebuild it to similar specifications for about $2,500. If you shop around you may find a crate engine from an aftermarket source for around this price. Realize that all sources are not as reliable as FRPP and you risk your money when going to someone else (their engine is not typically new and you can get the business). The transmission costs about $1200 new. The bits and pieces to install about $600 depending on how you go about it. Generally you get what you pay for.
Old 01-23-2002, 23:51   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info geegee, now i just need to find the right car!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum