C-6 Conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2001, 21:21   #1 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Question C-6 Conversion

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone out there can answer a C-6 question for me. I just recently replaced my old FMX with a lightly build C-6 (in addition to a motor rebuild). I am hoping to be able to hook it back up to the stock shifter using the original linkage. It looks like it will work except for one small detail. The shifter lever attatched to the tranny points towards the bottom of the tranny, about 180 degrees out of place. Since I didn't build the tranny, I'm not sure how to take the shifter lever off, or if it's even possible to put it back on 180 degreees from where it is now. I noticed there is a threaded stud sticking out of the middle of the shaft that the lever attaches to, but it won't turn very easily, though I can move it in and out about 3/8 of an ince. I think it is for band adjustment...

Anyone out there with any pointers???

Cheers,

Ian
ian351c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2001, 04:47   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Hi ian351c. I'm not sure about the shifter but as the c6 was offered in the 71 stang then it seems like it should be easy to get working in yours if yours is a 73.I will try to find some info.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 04:11   #3 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

ian i checked and it seems in the 71 manual both the FMX and C6 shifter linkages point towards the bottom of the trans.
Old 07-18-2001, 22:50   #4 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

That's interesting to know about the C-6 and the FMX. In my 73, the detent lever points BOTH up and down (up is for the console shifter, down is for the kickdown linkage attatched to the throttle linkage at the carbeurator...).

I ended up getting a B&M Quicksilver, and it works pretty good. I didn't have to cut the stock lever off to get the B&M lever on, which is good. And I get locate the shifter much farther back on the console (I have to take out the lower half of the console though, because I don't want to chop it up). I like that because I am tall and I sit with the seat all the way back...

Anyways, thanks for the info!

Ian
ian351c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 04:06   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Thats good you got something worked out.This info may help someone else.The shifters in the workshop manual I was referring to are the "manual shifters".There were also the kickdown shifters which seem to be a separate linkage that slid inside the tube of the manual shifter to operate independently.Glad you got it going.You can now go out a burn some rubber. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum