Carb Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2001, 08:16   #1 (permalink)
Mod/Vintage Mustang Member

Question Carb Problem

Any thoughts on why the Butterfly won't move on my carb? 351C engine, stock 2 barrel carb set up. You can leave it running for as long as you want and it doesn't budge.
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2001, 09:35   #2 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Read

Is it automatic choke or manual?
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 11:20   #3 (permalink)

Automatic. One other note, I can not even move it by hand.
Old 10-19-2001, 12:37   #4 (permalink)
mfp4073

Are you saying it worked fine and then just froze up??? Very odd indeed!
Old 10-19-2001, 13:11   #5 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Read

Your problem may be because the spring is broken in your choke housing. But, if your butterfly doesnt even move by hand, the spring may be way too tight on the choke, or something is broken in your choke housing. Take the cover off and inspect it. Also the piston in the choke housing may be rusted to the housing. if you take a screw driver, put it on the piston and tap it with a hammer, you may be able to free it up if that is your problem. Also inspect the rods connecting the valve to the choke. Hope this helps you.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 17:08   #6 (permalink)

I will take a look at the choke as recommended. And yes, it was working fine. I went on a week vacation and come back to being stuck.
Old 10-20-2001, 17:05   #7 (permalink)

Question Problem fixed?

OK, I am not sure if I fixed it or not, but I will keep an eye on it to see. Basically, I just tried to manually work the butterfly by moving the throttle, and then "click" it moved back to a closed position. The engine was not running at the time. I decided to play with it a little more, and could not get it to stick open again. I sprayed down the carb really well with carb cleaner and wiped it down. I drove the car for about an hour today, and it ran great. I am going to let it cool down overnight and see what happens.

The symptoms Iwould experience are, it would take the car a lot longer than normal to warm up, as the choke plate was not closing. Therefore, if I tried to drive the car, before it was really warmed up it would sputter and try to stall.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to what I could do to fix it, please throw them my way.

Tim
Old 10-20-2001, 18:09   #8 (permalink)
Mark VII Member

I think there is a good chance you got her licked. On the right (pasanger side) of the carb there are a set of linkages for the choke to work. Sometimes they get sticky with age. Also for it to move freely you should hold the throttel open while you try to move it.
84 Mark VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum