Changing tran fluid in automatic 2001 V6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 21:12   #1 (permalink)

Changing tran fluid in automatic 2001 V6

Hi everybody, I wanted some advice on issues that I'm having with my transmission fluid. I've been meaning to change it out for some time, but I want to do it with my brother's supervision, because I've never changed it before. Anyway, it's hard to schedule a time with him because he lives pretty far away. So now my car has 114,000 miles on it and I still haven't changed it. Yes, I know, that is very stupid of me. Although I did have a wreck in 2004 and for some reason my transmission fluid was really low after I got it out of the shop. So I put a few more bottles in it...so at least not all of the fluid is completely old and gunky. Plus, I checked the dipstick just today and the dipstick wasn't coated with anything thick and gunky.

Anyhoo, my question is: Would it be okay for me to wait just one more month to change the fluid? The transmission shifts a little funny from time to time, but nothing scary has happened yet. I also got a quote from a shop with a good rep for $160. What the crap? Isn't that a bit steep for something that might take 3 hours and requires nothing more than a filter, a gasket, and a couple bottles of fluid? There's no way I'm wanting to pay that much for something I trust myself to do better than them anyway.

What do you people think?
michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 03:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: Changing tran fluid in automatic 2001 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
Hi everybody, I wanted some advice on issues that I'm having with my transmission fluid. I've been meaning to change it out for some time, but I want to do it with my brother's supervision, because I've never changed it before. Anyway, it's hard to schedule a time with him because he lives pretty far away. So now my car has 114,000 miles on it and I still haven't changed it. Yes, I know, that is very stupid of me. Although I did have a wreck in 2004 and for some reason my transmission fluid was really low after I got it out of the shop. So I put a few more bottles in it...so at least not all of the fluid is completely old and gunky. Plus, I checked the dipstick just today and the dipstick wasn't coated with anything thick and gunky.

Anyhoo, my question is: Would it be okay for me to wait just one more month to change the fluid? The transmission shifts a little funny from time to time, but nothing scary has happened yet. I also got a quote from a shop with a good rep for $160. What the crap? Isn't that a bit steep for something that might take 3 hours and requires nothing more than a filter, a gasket, and a couple bottles of fluid? There's no way I'm wanting to pay that much for something I trust myself to do better than them anyway.

What do you people think?
If you dont do it NOW it will break.. murphy says so .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:38   #3 (permalink)
lone_wolf_901

Re: Changing tran fluid in automatic 2001 V6

Changing and flushing your transmission takes a machine. Cause just draining the trans. pan won't get all the old fluid out. And it should only cost about 100-120 dollars to do this and it takes about an 1 and a half to do. Don't let them rob you. Plus don't wait. Do it as soon as possible.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum