cold air intake,some kits require.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2006, 22:04   #1 (permalink)

cold air intake,some kits require....

a computer reflash and some don't. I guess the kit that requires a reflash offers more horsepower. Is this safe to say??
jay's stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2006, 01:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: cold air intake,some kits require....

Those kits maintaining the same MAF diameter as the stock one do not require a tune. Any HP gains made are usually from the tune adjustments made to the A/F ratio. There can also be more HP made by some kits over other kits depending on the materials the intake is made from.

CAI kits made of composite materials usually keep the air cooler since the material absorbs less heat coming off the engine. Kits that use some form of metal like aluminum, magnesium or titanium will tend to absorb engine heat and make the air traveling through the pipe warmer which causes that air to generate less HP.

Also some kits run an open air filter cone which then will be pulling warm air from the engine bay and general make a few HP less. If the cones are enclosed in a shield, box or located out in the fender well then they will pull cooler air and generally make more HP.

So you see there are a number of factors that can affect how much one kit performs over another.
Vista Blue GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 13:48   #3 (permalink)

cold air intakes actually do very little on '95+ mustangs as the stock intake is cold air and not very restrictive.
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 17:46   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Disque
cold air intakes actually do very little on '95+ mustangs as the stock intake is cold air and not very restrictive.
First off I thought he was talking about the 05 through 07 Mustangs. Did I miss something with that?

Second... All mustangs from 96 on always should change out to a cold air kit because the stock airbox is very restrictive. Changing the airbox out to a cone always brought me 8 to 10 extra RWHP by the dyno. So I don't really know where you are coming from with your thought. In fact the box and air silencer are the main restrictions besides the paper element. In fact the stock cold-air intakes are the first things that are always suggested for changing. The next is the exhaust.

Now if you are refering to the intake plenum and throttlebody I would certainly agree with you but I think he was refrring to strictly the cold-air intake and air-box...

As for the 05 through 07 I first swtiched the stock paper filter on my 06 GT for a K&N and gained 3 RWHP on the dyno. We then replaced the stock airbox on the 06 GT with a BBK CAI and cone. It gained another 4 RWHP. We then did a tune and it gained another 6 RWHP. So it certainly does pay to replace the CAI on an 06. After that the mid-pipe needs to be swapped from the stock H to a an X. Thats good for another 8 RWHP by dyno. Then UD pullies for another 12 RWHP by dyno.

With these mods and the tuning that was done with them all together I gained a total of 33 RWHP that I didn't have before.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:53   #5 (permalink)

Hi there Vista blue GT. Jay's stang here. Just wanna say you know your stuff.And I was referring to an 06' stang. It makes sense when you said an open air filter will draw in more heat off the engine.As true the fact that what material the inlet tube is made of can effect air temp. I want to do a cold air plus exhaust. And I don't skimp when I comes to my darling. I want the best. what would you recommend? Thanks. Have a great holiday.....P.S. I'm sure you've heard of Steeda in Pompano. Do they do good work?
jay's stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 13:45   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay's stang
Hi there Vista blue GT. Jay's stang here. Just wanna say you know your stuff.And I was referring to an 06' stang. It makes sense when you said an open air filter will draw in more heat off the engine.As true the fact that what material the inlet tube is made of can effect air temp. I want to do a cold air plus exhaust. And I don't skimp when I comes to my darling. I want the best. what would you recommend? Thanks. Have a great holiday.....P.S. I'm sure you've heard of Steeda in Pompano. Do they do good work?

OK Jay here ya go.....you want a cold air kit that has an inlet pipe made of composite materials and avoid kits using metal in their inlet pipe fabrication. The best composite one on the market is from JLT Performance. Here is their web site address:

Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

(yes that weird url will get you to JLT...) The next thing to do is the exhaust. It would be better to do the exhaust in conjunction with the JLT since they act in conjunction with each other to get the air flowing freer from end to end. I went with the Corsa axle-backs. They are expensive but they really look nice abd they are all stainless steel. They happen to be the most respected high-quality exhausts made and that is why they are used on Corvettes alot. You may see claims that the Corsa axle-backs give you between 10 and 13 extra RWHP. I personally tested this and found it to be true ONLY when you replace the stock Mustang GT H-pipe with the Corsa X-pipe.

You should definitely invest in the SCT Xcaliber-2 hand held programmer as well and tune the entire solution specifica to your car so that you get your air-to-fuel ratio to run at 13.2 to 1. This will usually net you some additional RW HP and torque and keep the engine running safely without detonation.

I believe JLT sells a combo air-intake and SCT XCal-2 for $550.00. Corsa axle-back exhausts average around $650.00. This is usually twice the cost of most axle-backs but the workmanship and sound is really high-quality in both departments. There is absolutely NO DRONE when cruising. The Corsa X-pipe runs about $250.00.

The Corsa is a tiny bit louder and lower in tone than the stock axle-backs. If you are looking for real deep sound, a bit of drone and loud even when not getting on it, then the following axle-backs are good:

JBL axle-backs
Borla
Flowmaster
and MACs.

If you decide on JBA's let me know for I have a pair that I ran for two months before I switched to Corsa's. The only reason I switched is because I wanted the best looking axle-backs on the market with absolutely no drone...Corsa's fit that bill. If you want the JBA's I'd be willing to sell mine for $200. They normally run between $298 to $320.

As for Steeda of Popano. That is where I got my Steeda underdrive pullies from. The UD pullies should be your next mod after all of teh above is done including the SCT tune. Steeda's make top quality UD pullies and are the most popular with the 05 through 07 Mustang GT's. Also Steeda is known for top-quality mod service as well.

And that's about it. Drop me an email should you decide on getting the JBA axle-backs and want to get mine at a substantially reduced price.

Have a Happy Holiday !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum