Considering Buying a Mustang, but... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2002, 16:39   #1 (permalink)
DanM

Considering Buying a Mustang, but...

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some facts, advice, and opinions. I'm strongly considering buying a Mustang, but I have some reservations first, and I'd like some first-hand info from Mustang owners.

I should first say that my first two cars have been Hondas/Acuras. I want something with more power, so I've been looking at Preludes. Problem is .. they're expensive. Very. I can get a 1-2 year old Mustang with under 40-50 kilometers on it for substantially less. Plus I LOVE the way the new Mustangs look (I'm considering a 99+). My concern is .. WHY are Mustangs so much less? I'm really not here to bash domestics, in fact I'd love it if you could give me reason to buy one, but to be honest, I'm concerned with build quality. Especially when I see resale values that low.

So I'm wondering if anyone can comment on their experiences with Mustangs as opposed to other cars out there with respect to longevity. I'm more concerned about the 'little things'. I know the engine in a Mustang will last as long as any Honda, but I'm worried about the details. Brakes and clutches? Will buttons stop working? Electrical problems? Leaks here and there? Even little aesthetics like rattles, squeaks? How the doors sound when you close them?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your opinions and experiences. If anyone with a newer (94+) Mustang could comment on what you like about the car, and what you don't, it would be much appreciated. Especially those who have owned imports as well, and can comment on what they noticed when they switched. Thanks. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2002, 13:02   #2 (permalink)
mfp4073

I do older mustangs, but can answer a few questions for you and give you a little info.

Hondas hold their value, people seem to think they last forever, but I have seen my fair share with problems just like any other car. Not bashing, just think they are more on the level.

Mustangs are fun cars, I don't really like the look of the newer ones, but won't rag on you for it. Its much easier to make a mustang go fast than a honda. I saw a guy with an auto gt 98 drive the 1/4 mile for the first time (had never been on a track), with the air on, and a passenger and turn a 14.9. What you are mainly getting up front is torque. Hondas(and all the smaller cars)just dont have it. That is why they have to strip the interiors out of them. It really does make a big difference. It I did that to my car the results would be very small. I can also run with a passenger and it does not effect my times but like a .10 of a second or so.

the 4.6 motors are fairly new so long term standings on them are not really available. As far as the car falling apart on you, I think they are fairly well made. I don't see a lot of them completely falling apart. all cars have their problems, but I have not noticed too much. For example, on my 94 mx6 its well known that the power window switchs brake, the distributors have issues, and such. I don't know of much like that on the newer mustangs.

It makes little sense to me. I borrowed a friend of mines honda civic hatchback. I felt dirty driving it. It was a low end model, but it seemed like so much of the car was really made pretty cheap. I may be spoiled cause my mx6 is an LS with the leather wheel and shifter, but little things like pennys stuck in the dash to keep it from squeking and such seemed really bad.

I AM NOT BASHING IMPORTS OR HONDAS, just expressing my experiences. if you pick up a gt mustang 5 speed, you will be roasting imports left and right. Add some mods like exhaust, throttle body, etc you will be downright untouchable by anything but strip prepared cars. Hell, hook up a supercharger and its all over!
Old 07-29-2002, 18:25   #3 (permalink)
DanM

You make a very interesting point .. one I hadn't thought of. I drive an Acura EL (it's a Canada only model, basically a high-end Civic sedan sold under the Acura badge). My friend has a little Civic hatchback (basically the cheapest Civic on the market), and I notice a huge, HUGE difference between my car and his. His rattles more. His squeaks more. His feels lighter, and less substantial. My car is much quieter. Less wind noise. It handles road bumps better, and so on.

So I guess what I'm saying is there can be a fair degree of variability even in a single model.

I suppose I'll just have to drive a few and see what I think. I plan on buying a 99+, but I thought I'd drive some older ones, maybe 94ish, to see if I can pick out anything wrong to look for on the newer models. Any buying tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum