Convertable Doors on a Hatchback? Is it possible? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2001, 05:54   #1 (permalink)
plumebuster

Question

I am about to tear into my '91 LX Hatch 5.0. In this rebuild, I do not want this car to be 'just another mustang'. I plan to do some unique things that I have not found in any magazines etc. One of those is to retrofit doors from a convertable on a hatchback. Has anyone seen this done? Is it possible?

By doing so, I would eliminate the window frame on the coupe/hatchback doors and have better looking mirrors (in my opinion). My concern, of course, is weatherstripping and sealing out the water! If anyone has seen this done or has any advice, I'm all ears!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sally.jpg (66.0 KB, 40 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2001, 07:39   #2 (permalink)
Bronco Ranger XLT Member

Read

Plumebuster, that is a unique idea. I have not seen or heard of it being done, and I think I know why. In doing so, you would lose the structural integrity of the door pillar. You would probably get a lot of shake, rattle and roll if you cut it out. The convertibles are strengthened some to prevent this. However, if you added strength to body pan, with subframe connectors, it would certainly be a unique vehicle. It would have the look of the "hardtops" of the 50's and 60's. If you go ahead with it, we will require pictures!
Old 04-26-2001, 09:24   #3 (permalink)
plumebuster

Good point. However, I don't anticipate any changes to the structure itself. What I was referring to was the "frame" that goes around the door windows. You can see the difference if you look at the hatchback/coupe doors and see that metal frame above the actual door, whereas the convertible doors don't have that. They just have the door.

Maybe that metal frame does add something to structural rigidity, but I don't know. Hmm...You've brought up a very good issue I will have to deal with first. If this is solve-able with subframe connecters, those are in the works anyway! :p

plumebuster
Old 04-29-2001, 18:41   #4 (permalink)
Mustang LX Member

Read subframes

I doubt that the door frames add very much structually, but subframes aren't that expensive, I think everyone should have em.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum