Convertible Top problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2002, 19:41   #1 (permalink)
DavidH

eek Convertible Top problems

Hello :-) I just purchased a 1990 Mustang LX with a convertible top, the only problem is the convertible top doesn't work. From what I can see there are two relays in the trunk that are connected to the top motor. When I push the button to raise or lower the top the relays both make a clicking sound, so I figure that they are ok. I checked the two wires going into the motor, but neither seem to ever get any power to them. I checked all the clear colored fuses under the dashboard, and they all seem to be ok. Are there any in-line fuses on the way to the motor? I'm sure it is not something wrong with the switches, because the relays makes noise. I am really confused about the next step to take. If anybody has any suggestions I would gladly take them. Thanks :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2004, 10:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: Convertible Top problems

This is an old post, but Im having exactly the same problem. I have a 93' convertible, and every time I press the switch, I hear the relays click, but nothing happens. I had this same problem last summer, and the wierd thing is, it will work sparatically. The first time I put the top down this year, it worked fine, but it wouldnt go back up, or work at all after that. Where should one start in troubleshooting this problem?
Noods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 14:34   #3 (permalink)
Mustang Cobra Member

According to the wiring diagram for my 1997 convertible, there are two fuses.

The first, under the instrument panel, protects the control power circuits. Those are the ones connected to the switch and that make the relays 'click'.

The second one is in the engine compartment, adjacent to the battery. It's like a physically larger than usual fuse. It protects the power circuits that power the top's motors after the relays go 'click'.

Find that fuse. It's connections are probably corroded from the engine compartment environment and age. Unplug it and, if it's not visibly blown, stick it back in and give it a try.

Other than that, you now drive a coupe!

My top will be down in about 15 minutes for the first time this year. Temps hit 70+ today. It's the first day out of Winter mothballs, and I'm ready: top down, tunes on the Mach 460, and a Dominican cigar for the ride home from work. Gotta love it!
VENOMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 16:00   #4 (permalink)

frown Re: Convertible Top problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noods
This is an old post, but Im having exactly the same problem. I have a 93' convertible, and every time I press the switch, I hear the relays click, but nothing happens. I had this same problem last summer, and the wierd thing is, it will work sparatically. The first time I put the top down this year, it worked fine, but it wouldnt go back up, or work at all after that. Where should one start in troubleshooting this problem?
I had the same relay click problem with my 93 Mustang. I checked fuses and found no problems, so I just purchased a rebuilt motor/pump and installed it a couple of days ago. The motor opened the top and stowed it, but didn't have enough push to close the top. I'm now trying to figure out what's going on. I suspect it's I hydraulics problem vs electric. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jimustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:47   #5 (permalink)
Mustang Cobra Member

If you haven't already done so, I sugest that you lubricate all of the hinges points in the top and top mechanism. After 10 years htey could be dry and rusty. Try some WD40, applied liberally!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:24   #6 (permalink)

I tried the WD40 but that didn't work (although I'm sure the top needed lubrication anyway). Turned out I needed to put more hydraulic fluid - actually transmission fluid - in the motor. It's a little tricky. Pulling the rubber stopper out of the reservoir is impossible without ruining it, so you have to undo the bolt that joins the reservoir to the motor, and pour the fluid in the bolt hole while holding the unit together. You also have to plug the ports to the hydraulic lines when you're doing this to prevent the fluid from dripping out. Anyway, the additional fluid was the answer - the top works!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:43   #7 (permalink)
Mustang Cobra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimustang
I tried the WD40 but that didn't work (although I'm sure the top needed lubrication anyway). Turned out I needed to put more hydraulic fluid - actually transmission fluid - in the motor. It's a little tricky. Pulling the rubber stopper out of the reservoir is impossible without ruining it, so you have to undo the bolt that joins the reservoir to the motor, and pour the fluid in the bolt hole while holding the unit together. You also have to plug the ports to the hydraulic lines when you're doing this to prevent the fluid from dripping out. Anyway, the additional fluid was the answer - the top works!
DRIVE ON! I'll keep that in mind if I can't get it up anymore!(the conv. top that is)
Old 04-04-2005, 19:43   #8 (permalink)

I have a 90' Mustang. The top is stuck open. I have all of the same symptoms, clicking noise but nothing happens. I need help getting to the motor for the top. How do you access it?
mmarashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 16:24   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarashe
I have a 90' Mustang. The top is stuck open. I have all of the same symptoms, clicking noise but nothing happens. I need help getting to the motor for the top. How do you access it?
The motor is in the trunk behind the back seat. You have to pull the trunk liner out to access the pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum