crankshaft pulley (hormonic balancer) wobbly ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 21:57   #1 (permalink)

crankshaft pulley (hormonic balancer) wobbly ?

Hi guys,
I've find that my crankshaft pulley is wobbly a bit. I've heard that pulley should not wobble at all and if it did, it should be replace asap.
Should i get it replace ?
I just bought the car, 2005 v6 engine with 106 000km.
I have no vibration of the engine on idle, no noise of any kind.
I have a video clip which i made:
What do you guys think about this ?
Thanks for your time
Danny
dannyr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 23:37   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: crankshaft pulley (hormonic balancer) wobbly ?

Hi Danny. It should not be wobbly although I couldnt tell from that video if it wobbled at all. Make sure it is simply not loose on the crankshaft and needs to be tightened.

I noticed some dirt on it that gave it a wobbly look as it was rotating. If it is tight on the crank and the balancer is starting to come apart then you need to replace it.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:47   #3 (permalink)

Ok thanks for your reply.

How can i check if it's tight enough, do i just take a ratchet with the proper socket and check if it's snug ? How tight should it be ?

I watched my video and it seems to be less wobbly compared with my eyes. I'll try to make another video with another camera and see if it's more visible...

Thanks for your time

Danny
dannyr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 18:47   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Yes get a socket and power bar if possible and it should be very tight. The hardest job is stopping the engine turning over while you check if it is an auto trans. If its manual trans then put into top gear with the park brake on and the engine will be locked pretty good. I think if you try to tighten it and the engine turns over then it is most likely tight.

If you can see it wobbly(assuming it is tight on crankshaft) then it sounds like the balancer is coming apart and you should replace it. I don't think it will be overly expensive for the part. If it is pricey at Ford then try an aftermarket supplier.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:17   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

The harmonic balancer/dampener is a failure prone part on the V6. A loose bolt is usually not the problem. The inner and outer parts are bonded by rubber and the bond breaks causing the two halves to separate, often with devastating results. I would replace the part immediately; around $170 at the dealer. Also, do not reuse the old bolt, get a new one at the dealer, use Locktight, and torque in steps as specified in the manual. I have seen one failure result in a broken crankshaft snout, a big time problem!
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum