Detroit E-Z Locker trouble...Help!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2008, 11:09   #1 (permalink)

Detroit E-Z Locker trouble...Help!!

Hey guys... I hope you can help me. I have a 1968 Amc Javelin with a 1995 Ford Explorer 8.8 rear. It was an open diff with 4:10 gears. I installed a Detroit E-Z Locker and it seemed to unlock real easy even pushing the car around the shop. Oh well no big deal right? I have been through this whole car. The only thing I havent changed was the distributor hold down. Get what I mean?? Last week I was taking the car for exhaust work and a front end alignment. This car has not been on the road for 20 years...Woo Hoo I was pumped!! It acted a little funny, locking in/out in/out. thought I had a tranny issue slipping out of gear, nope. Got the car back home, pop/bang, in/out. My buddy has an E-Z also...says that is the way his is and it is o.k. untill HE drove the car. It seem like any time you accelerate one side of the locker will unlock, or BOTH sides will unlock. It will just sit there and grind until BANG, it locks back in. Has anybody else had this problem? Thanks in advance for your help. Kevin
overtimeracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2008, 12:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: Detroit E-Z Locker trouble...Help!!

my experience is with 2 lock rights, same concept as the Detroit EZ or now you see one called the Aussi locker. samething, remove spider gears and replace with pucks that have shallow teeth on them. I guess u guys are using them because the are cheap, I have only used them in 4x4s not in regular cars. They will wear out when used hard in a rear axle. the small shallow teeth will round off and cause them to to pop out of the locked position. that hard shock loading when they slip can lead to broken axle shafts. the better choice for a rear axle is a full case locker. a detriot soft locker (used to be the original detroit locker but tuned for a softer operation) or a detriot tru trac (gear limited slip no clutches to wear out) more expensive to buy and install but far more dependable than the "lunch time" lockers so called due to the quickness that they can be installed.

the reason it was unlocking when pushing it around is because these types of lockers need some pressure on the cross pin from the pinoin to force the lock, so no power to the driveshaft=no lock of the pucs. this is how u drive them on the street, before turning come off the gas and they will unlock and coast through the turn saves tire wear.
akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum