die hard e.c.m. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2001, 07:14   #1 (permalink)
Mustang Member

die hard e.c.m.

I converted a v-6 '85 mustang lx to a 5.0 recently which out of necessity involved eliminating use of the eec computer, since it was trying to run only 6 cylinders, and going to the duraspark system and converting the tbi fuel delivery system with a pressure regulator and a nice carburetor. The whole deal runs great, as long as I have the electronic control module from the old v-6 distributor connected to its harness, but not grounded.
Does anyone know how to make the fuel pump run normally without having the e.c.m. plugged in? I am sure I can just jump a couple of wires somewhere along the way and fool the computer, I just don't know which ones.
Input on this matter would be muchly appreciated!
motorsportnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2001, 16:15   #2 (permalink)
Mustang GT Member

there are two ways of doing this the first way is run a mechanicle fuel pump there may already be one on the engine if not check to see if the eccentric is on the camshaft by looking or feeling through the hole the fuel pump mounts to( the mech pump mounts on the left front side of the timing case) The other way is to use an electric fuel pump, the TBI fuel pump has too much pressure for a carburated engine an even though you are using a regulator the pump is still trying to push much more fuel than is required and will over tax the pump to point of failure before long get an electric pump that has 6 to 8 psi such as a holley or carter but many others make them also
agawam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 12:56   #3 (permalink)
Mustang Member

Question

I have no problem with putting a lower pressure fuel pump in the works, but if I put a low pressure fuel pump on the car, will it pull the fuel right through the exhisting high pressure fuel pump on the fuel tank even though it wont be operating? If not, how should I go about getting the fuel out of the tank?
Old 10-16-2001, 18:26   #4 (permalink)
Mustang GT Member

in most cases the low pressure pump will pull the fuel through the existing in tank pump, place it close to the tank if you use an electric,if you experiance problems you can remove the intank pump from the pickup just make sure the tube is long enough to get fuel from the low spot in the tank
agawam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 07:04   #5 (permalink)
Mustang Member

cool

Thanks for the input. that sounds like a good way to go. It just seemed like a waste before to not use the expensive fuel pump on that car, but if I can bypass it, that will be the last engine control computer hurdle to overcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum