Distributor gear has broken off ???? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 11:42   #1 (permalink)

confused Distributor gear has broken off ????

I have a '67 mustang with a 289 .c.i. The dist. rotor doesn't move when I crank the engine over. I believe the gear has come off.
Any idea as what causes this? I was thinking worn cam bearings.
How hard will it be to remove the gear with the engine still in the car?
Thanks Brooks
Brooks1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 12:45   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: Distributor gear has broken off ????

It has probably just sheared the roll pin that attatches the gear to the distributer shaft. If you carefully remove the distributor then you may find the gear will come out with the shaft still. Be gentle with it all. The gear also drives the oil pump with a pencil drive shaft that is in the bottom of the gear. be careful when removeing it so that hopefully the pencil drive will be left in the oil pump. Usually it is not a problem.

Hopefully if it is what I am thinking, then the gear will simply be spinning on the end of you dist shaft as the locating roll pin is sheared. This will be a simple case of knocking out the old pin and replacing it.

Now as to what may have caused this. If anyone has replaced the oil pump with a high volume pump then that puts more drive pressure on the gear. The distributor itself may need to be lubricated in the shaft as this may be dry or perhaps siezed and causing the pin to shear or the oil pump may have a problem and be difficult to drive and causing it.

This is of course if it is the pin that is the problem and not camshaft etc.

Hopefully this is of help and you are going to need to remove the distributor anyway to check.

Maybe putting a mark with a felt pen or something that is on the block and bottom of dist would be a good idea before turning it so that you can put the dist back in the same position as before. You will still need to set the rotor in the correct position but at least the dist housing will sit correctly in the original postion.

Good luck
Old 06-13-2009, 10:23   #3 (permalink)

Re: Distributor gear has broken off ????

on older engines with nylon/plastic cam gear, over time plastic flakes away , chips go into the oil pickup and lock up the oil pump, cause the shaft of the dist. turns the oil pump this pin is the weakest point of it and it snaps,or it could be a worn dist. shaft causing flex on the gear,id recommend flushing out oil pan, and installing a new timing chain& sprokets w/ steel gears,
keith28fykerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum