EEC Tuner Confusion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2002, 01:40   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

confused EEC Tuner Confusion

With so many conflicting sources I thought I'd ask a simple question.

Can you buy an EEC Tuner for the AU2 XR8 spec EEC-V?

If so, where?

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2002, 01:53   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Pete in perth come in here.You are the eec guru...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 02:23   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ebxr8240
Pete in perth come in here.You are the eec guru...
Pete was saying EEC5 hadn't been cracked yet but I think that's not the case.

What I'm aiming for is that I would like to buy the unit and it would be available to FF members who wanted to have their cars tuned (along those lines anyhow).

'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

Old 01-17-2002, 02:57   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I hope it's as simple as that I;m sure there are people out there badly needing some eec tuning. "I for one". Willing to pay, but NOT get ripped off either.Surely we don't have to go after market ecu to tune properly.. I think there can be some $$$ made by someone doing this type of work.But it seems if it's not a G.M product it's not worth it. We know the answer to that!![ B.S] I'm for that!!
R.I.P Possum...
Old 01-17-2002, 03:00   #5 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Are the tuners user friendly or do yo have to know what u are doing to use them.

thanks.
WINGED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:12   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Quote:
Originally posted by WINGED
Are the tuners user friendly or do yo have to know what u are doing to use them.

thanks.
Unfortunately the latter I think? Anakha should be the one to answer there he's real p/c knowlegable.
..We need some, one or so expert tuners in each state!!!!
R.I.P Possum...
Old 01-17-2002, 07:59   #7 (permalink)
XR9UTE

As Ive said, the latest AU-up type EECV has not yet been "cracked". Many U.S EECV's have been cracked.
Some things to think about when refering to EEC's:
1. Hardware speaking....All EECIV's are not the same and all EECV's are not the same. What does that mean? well, for example an EECV from a EL 5.0 has different hardware(microprocessor,injector drivers,PCB etc etc) than a AU 5.0 EECV.

2. Data locations within the ROM are different from EEC to EEC.
This means that the actual location in memory of each parameter,function and map are different between EEC's. Even in the same type of car. For example a 5.0 EB EECIV with a 1DEC catch code has different data locations to a 5.0 EB EECIV with a 1DEB catch code.

3. Ford did this deliberately! They don't want you to **** with it!
You may ask why? the answer is simply that Ford started on their own Engine management a long time ago(around '79 in fact) when Bosch jetronic was about the only other stuff in existence. So, the've designed in protection for their interlectual property from the beginning.

The reason that GM stuff has the support it does is because they use off-the-shelf parts to make their ECU(Eg; 68HC11 micro's). They don't try to protect it because it's not really theirs in the first place. So hackers can easily "crack" it.
Of course GM stuff has only just gone MASS AIR and sequential recently.
SO the necessity to be able to tune the earlier Speed Density systems was required "straight away" because even the smallest cam change would result in a pig of an engine without recalibration.

EFI Ford V8's(specifically the 5.0 HO Mustang variety) were Sequential when they first came out in '86 but still Speed Density.
This resulted in some hacking to make "chips" however, Mustangs could be made to go very hard without a cam change. Consequently many '86 to '87california or '88 49 states were dipping into the 12's and 11's without a cam change. Then from '88 California('89 49 states) there was a switch to MASS AIR. Suddenly it didn't matter how big a cam change was, the Mass Air system would accomodate. Of course larger MAF's became available which allowed larger injectors to be used by tricking the EEC. The 5.0 Stang could go hard enough in this "tricked" form to beat practically anything.

The problem with this "tricked" format is that load is incorrectly calculated by the EEC. This results in(among other things) spark advance too great for the actual(higher) load that is occurring. Often this condition was fixed(in true dodgy fashion) by screwing up the fuel pressure.
True perfomance minded people began to realise the importance of giving the EEC accurate signals and actually calibrating the EEC for the combination.

Hence the arrival of the device known as the EEC-Tuner. With so many different data locations to find within even the same model car you effectively have to reverse engineer each family of EEC separately. This is obviously very time consuming. That is the real reason why not every EEC has support.

I dread to think what the next generation EEC owner will do...Ive heard it will have a new Motorola 555 based but Ford specific micro and no J3 connector at all!

As for the question about user friendliness; In my opinion the EEC-Tuner is, of course I work in the field but I learn't to calibrate my engine by using the 'Tuner and asking questions.
Yes you will have to know what you are doing to recalibrate any car. The thing is you won't learn what to do if you don't try and you'll most certainly stay in the dark if you buy a chip.
Having said all that it is pretty difficult to get into trouble if you make small changes. If you're gung-ho you're asking for it.

If you like I can post a list of changes Ive made to my ute? Then you can ask questions.

Pete.
Old 01-18-2002, 15:13   #8 (permalink)

PETE (XR9):
Can YOU crack the AU2 EEC5? I think there is a significant market here if you can? With all those 200s and 220s let alone 250s happening the return on investment must be attractive.

Like I said, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Email me if you think you can do it.

AP.

Old 01-18-2002, 15:48   #9 (permalink)

count me in. i would be happy to put my money where my mouth is if someone cracks the eecv for my au2 xr6 ute.

just one question. once the code for the individual eec has been cracked does this meen that real time tuning can be done on the dyno?

i am thinking seriously about a piggy back job (unichip) or similar just for that reason, but i would prefer to stay with the eecv if i can.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 08:33   #10 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Guy's,
I can try to "crack" the AU EECV code but it would take a bloody long time(I'm more of a hardware guy). I am working on getting other more experienced people involved in this.

The EEC-Tuner is not real time....the main thing though is that you can actually change the calibration.

Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum