electrical/computer glitch? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 19:05   #1 (permalink)

confused electrical/computer glitch?

I have a 2007 GT/CS. About a month or two ago, the battery died on my car. I think it was because my husband left the running lights on. We jumped it off and went through all of the rigamarole (sp?) of re-setting the system by driving 10 miles and not turning on any superflous systems, etc... Since then I have had the following electrical or computer related glitches happen off and on (we have since again reset the system a couple times in hopes of re-setting whatever is causing the problem):
  • Windows do that little "roll down a half inch" when the door is opened, but fail to roll back up. Also they won't do the "fast up" when I flip the window switch up - instead I have to hold the window switch "up" until the window is all the way up. Until today it was only the passenger window, but now the driver's window is also failing to operate properly.
  • Overdrive "off" light is backwards - it says that the overdrive is off when it's really on and vice versa.
  • Interior lights - at the end of a trip they sometimes stay on after car is turned off, passengers have exited, factory alarm has been set and doors are properly shut. The amount of time the lights stay on varies.
  • Remote issues - tonight when leaving the factory remote wouldn't work to unlock the car and turn on the lights. When I got home (after 35 miles of driving) the remote worked fine.

These problems are a bit maddening because they don't happen continuously, though they are getting worse and are happening more continually. I don't work or live near a dealership (I'm still under warranty), so I'm hesitant to go though all the hassle to drop it off, get someone to drive me around, etc...just to hear the ol' "we can't fix it if it's not happening right now" party line.

I am brand new here and I'm sorry if it's bad form to ask a question right off the bat, but I'm desperate to have all the info that I can before going and dealing with the dealership just have wasted my time and have all the malfunctions pop back up the next day. Also, if this topic has already been discussed, I'm sorry, but I couldn't find the right key words to search for it.

Thank you all in advance.
badcarburetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 18:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: electrical/computer glitch?

This sounds like a wiring problem with an electrical short some were in your car that caused the battery problem to start with and it is getting worse.Take this car back to your dealer before it wont start one day or goes up in flames.It could have a damaged wiring harness in a door. Im just guessing but you need to have this problem addressed by FORD.I know it is a pain dealing with Ford But .If the dealer wont help Call Ford then ASK for a Service Rep and Write down every thing thats happened and Wrong and give it to the Dealer to read but keep a copy .
Stick462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 17:33   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the help!

One of the listed problems did pop up right after I took it to the carwash. I forgot to list that detail. Dunno if it means anything...

Cheers!
Old 01-22-2009, 18:15   #4 (permalink)

I am having a very similar problem. I have a stock 2008 GT. It sat in the driveway for a little over a week in the cold. I decided to drive it yesterday and the battery was dead. Jumped the battery w/ a booster. Everything was fine on the drive to work and when I drove it to lunch. On the way home I stopped at a self serve car wash. When I left the carwash it was still fine. I drove 2 miles to the house and when I got out the key-fobs would not work. I tried all buttons on both key-fobs, but no luck. I tried to re-program the key-fobs and could not get them to work. I gave up and locked the car with the key. Exactly 8 hours later at 1:30 am the alarm went off. I ran out and put the key in the ignition to silence the alarm. I left the car unlocked and went inside to put some clothes on and disconnect the battery. On my way out the alarm went off again. The next morning I put the key in the ignition and turned to on and connected the battery. 30 seconds later the alarm went off. I took it the dealer right away. They called and said they reprogramed the key-fobs and its ready. I told them to keep it for an extra day so I don't wake the neighbors up again.

Also, I read that if you don't turn the radio off before the car the cd changer will continue to run and may be killing the battery. I have always left it on. This was the second time the battery was dead after about a week or so.
irljdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 14:28   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irljdb View Post
Also, I read that if you don't turn the radio off before the car the cd changer will continue to run and may be killing the battery. I have always left it on. This was the second time the battery was dead after about a week or so.

Where did you read that? I have read my owner's manual front to back and over again and never saw that.

I'm still having the same problems off and on, but it's never consistent enough for me to make an appointment to take it to the dealership and be certain that the glitches will occur while the mechanic is looking at it.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:46   #6 (permalink)

I read it in another forum somewhere. I can say that when my cd changer locked up, it would continue to try to run after the car was off and the door was open.

Also in an update, I took the car to the dealer and they reprogrammed the remotes. I have had no issues since. The dealer did recommend that I buy a battery tender or start it every 3 or 4 days to keep the battery up if it is going to sit for awhile.
irljdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:37   #7 (permalink)
steve

Hi,
This is my first here, wonder if anybody can help me, I live in Mallorca and feel like I am the only one outside the states that has a Mustang!!!!
The drivers side headlamp will only stay on for 10/20 seconds after switching on, I can switch it off and the same thing happens again, nobody I have spoken to can make any sense of it, running out of hair to pull out!
Thanks,
steve f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 16:00   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcarburetor View Post
Where did you read that? I have read my owner's manual front to back and over again and never saw that.

I'm still having the same problems off and on, but it's never consistent enough for me to make an appointment to take it to the dealership and be certain that the glitches will occur while the mechanic is looking at it.
Stick 462's advice is the best idea.

BTW I was told, and I have read that you should always turn off all your accessories before you turn the car off, sounds crazy but I never leave the radio on, then shut the car off. 2 years, and 3 months, and 23,000 miles with my '06 GT, no battery issues thus far! But badcarberator, as a hassle as it is, get that car checked out at the dealer.
jamesjdug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum