Ford Forums banner

Engine swap??

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dmark101 
#1 ·
Hey,
I know you can fit a GT engine in a Cobra but, it won't go in a V6 mustang... Will it??:whoaa:

#2 ·
Hey,

Here is why I wanted to know.

I know a guy who goes to indy on Wednsdays and bids on cars. He is a dealer but he doesn't work with a big company. My grandpa has bought his last two cars from him and my aunt just bought one too. He is a nice guy and doesn't bid on cars that around in good condition, and he buys from the BIG dealerships too. He doesn't need to make a huge profit off of the cars because he doesn't have to worry about all the crap that the big dealerships do. So he just sold a 99 Cobra for $14,500.

Soooo... I was thinking, if I could buy a 99 V6 for REALLY CHEAP from him. I could swap the V6 with a V8 and tell the insurance company I had a V6 Mustang. That would save me A TON OF MONEY. But then I thought about it and I don't think you can put a GT engine in a V6 mustang. :sleep:

Someone let me know just incase there is a way... It would save me a ton of money if it is possible. :err:

#3 ·
Insurance

Well, if your insurance company is like most insurance companies... even if you have a V6 Stang, they still treat it like a V8.

Check with your insurance.....

#5 ·
sorry so late

Actually according to my resources a v-8 32v or gt will fit into a v-6 car. Also for another note the modular engines will fit into the fox body cars aswell. The 32v engine is a snug fit but it does fit. The front frame rails are identical from the fox body cars to new gen mustangs. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
wade, the issue you have to worry about isn't so much an engine swap, but the fact that the insurance companies will base their quotes on the VIN of the car.

every place i called asked for the VIN and each one told me their rates would be through the roof because it was a cobra. they knew what it was simply by the VIN.

if you plan on swapping, make sure you do it from a gt to a v6. i would never sacrifice a cobra for this type of swap. ever. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.