engine\tranny swap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2003, 15:11   #1 (permalink)
Shinigama

engine\tranny swap

i have a fi (of course) 3.8 aod 1991 thunderbird which i am going to drop a carburated 351w in and a t5 what i need to know is how close is the engine compartment and exaust routing to a mustang because i can only find information on all those mustangs also any of you have tips or info you could tell me it would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2003, 19:00   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Fraid I can't help but hopefully someone here has experience with this.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:52   #3 (permalink)

You've got some work ahead of you. There's plenty of space for the engine. The mount's will have to be changed of coarse for the engine & tran's. That's a given. The fuel system will have to be changed also, the carb can't handle the pressure from the tank mounted pump, so the tank pick up will have to be changed. In some case's the fuel line diamater is to small also.The 351W require's at least a 5/16 line. The radiator may not be suffecent to cool the bigger engine. Your accessory bracket's can be used from a T-bird 302 of the same year ( read salvage yard here) The braking system may need upgrading also, you will be adding weight and probably driving the car harder I assume. With any luck your car has a floor shift already, if not you will have to cut the floor pan for the T-5 shifter. Keep in mind that the rear end will not hold up to prolonged abuse from the torquer 351. I garrantee there will be more question's when and if you take on this project
http://fordexp.freehomepage.com/photo3.html
big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum