Ford Forums banner

Gauge Issues

2K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  Rallek 
#1 ·
I have an 05 Mustang GT. It has MyColor, though I dont think that matters.

Recently the gas gauge stopped working. I have seen other people post about this, but I dont think my issue is the same. It started when I parked my car for 2 weeks. When I got back in it, the gas gauge was below E. All gauges sit to the minimum when the car is off, but the gas gauge is further down. It doesnt move when the car is started.

If anyone has had the same issue, please let me know.

I think that due to the heat in Florida, the glue that holds the needle on the pin has come un-glued. The reason I say this is a mechanical issue and not an electric issue is because the Tach is now doing it. The Tach still works, but maybe once a week it will read low, like it too has come un-glued and gravity is pulling it down.

If this is the case, Ill get some cool white-face gauges to put in there and re-glue all the needles. The Tach issue is random, the gas gauge issue is continueous. It never moves.

Again, if anyone has had the same issue, please let me know.

See less See more
#4 ·
Someone recomended to remove the rear seat and check the electrical connections on both sides of the tank, and possibly add some electrical grease.

Removal of the seat is easy, theres are 2 buttons under the front of the seat. Push em and lift up on the front. Remove the 2 big round cromits. I just disconnected and reconnected the plugs a few times, as I dont have any electrical grease. When I started the car... Ta-Daaa, the gas gauge moved. This process took me all of 5 mins. There is alot of dirt in between the tank and the frame, so Im guessing dirt is the issue Ford has been having with this.

But! My Gas Gauge and Tach still dont read correctly. Im pretty sure its a mechanical issue in the dash because my needles jump, kinda like a second hand on a ticking clock. So either the pin is not tight in the needle hole, or the needle is falling off. See! My car's so fast the needles cant hang on! Anyways, I'll be taking the dash apart at some point and puting a bit of glue on the needle shafts.

#5 ·
Update:

Stepper Motors! It has been suggested and confirmed that my issue was the stepper motors in the gauge cluster. They are apparently bad in some '05 cars. You can order these from Ford or get them on Ebay(that's where I found them). If you can solder, these can be purchased individually($8). It is suggested to replace them all. I found a service on Ebay that does this, you just have to ship off your gauge cluster($140). Usually takes a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.