Ford Forums banner

Getting Started.

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  keith28fykerd 
#1 ·
Hi, I pretty much know nothing about cars. I'm going to be buying between an 88-93 5.0 soon however and am looking to make it competitively fast. From what I've seen the popular big upgrades are swapping engines with a 351w and stroking the factory 302. I'll do all the bolt-on upgrades after I get the big project out of the way. I have a few questions I was hoping could be answered.

How much of a HP gain would I see from a 351w swap/302 stroker kit?

Which one, when it comes down to it, is better (HP wise and for my car)? I've heard stroking can wear down the pistons and that 351w swap is hard on factory parts.

If I were to go with the 351w option where would I buy one? Can I get the block from another car or do I have to buy a new one from ford racing (something I don't have money for)?

Which is more economically friendly? I get paid minimum wage as I'm only 18.

Thanks in advance
-danny.

See less See more
#2 ·
HI Danny,

If you find a 87-93 fox-body Mustang stick with the 302.It's a great motor with a ton of bolt-ons available.

You can stroke a 302 to a 306,331,347 the 331 is a great street motor at 347 it starts to get less reliable for every day street use.

Gears are an inexpensive mod,these cars respond big time to an aftermarket intake,or a larger throttle body,heads are huge hp gains on these cars too as the stock heads were pretty chocked.

If you want to get 460 hp do:
8-10 PSI Vortech
Heads
cam
Holley Systemmax intake
70MM throttle body
306 stroke

Don't fall into the electric fan trap to free up HP,if you do a blower on these cars with an electric fan they run hot.

The best cooling setup is the brass ford radiator, the DSO police issue clutch fan and the stock fan and shround.That DSO fan was for the police issue Mustang and it does some serious cooling.

Any questions DR.FOX is in the house.:hit:

#3 ·
keep the factory 5.0 , ford does make a swap kit,oil pan,pick-up,headers to swap a 351-w into it but it,ll cost you, you could even go 460-big block ,jegs has a swap -kit
there are many aftermarket add -ons to hop -up the original 5.0
i own a 1990 gt-5.0 all stock & fast ,the only drawback w/ these cars is there light in the ass end , and with a posi-track rear, they like to get side ways in turns ,wet road are the worst,so be carefull ,good tires & suspension components are a must

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.