Help! Convertible header gasket leaks and it is new. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 19:48   #1 (permalink)
Thing 1

Help! Convertible header gasket leaks and it is new.

I am hoping I can get some advice. I suspect my 91 Mustang convertible top is out of adjustment. I recently bought the car. All the gaskets were ripped to shreds- so I replaced them.

Here are the problems I have:

The convertible top will not latch to the header panel without hard pulling.
The header gasket has a gap that I can almost stick my hand in.
I cannot get the windows adjusted right to the roof and the front A pillar gaskets without affecting one or the other.

I suspect that the roof may not be the original for this car as the original was white per the build sheet.

Could the top frame be from a year that will not work with this car? Is there a way to tell?

The reason I suspect this is that I have found other parts that were swapped. It has an 85 7.5 rearend in it and the car is a V8. The trunk lid was from a different year as was the seat belts and quarter panels. I have swapped it all back to the correct style and year for the car.

I tried to take it to a bodyshop and they did some tweaking that made it worse, charged me for it and left me with a top that wouldn't latch at all and said they wouldn't touch it any further. I have since put all the adjustments back so it will somewhat go closed.

I have searched the net and there is nothing for 4 hours that has any qualifications with convertible tops.

The car is a sweet ride except for the roof issues. It leaks wind and rain bad. I hope someone can help as I have a Ford manual on how to adjust it- but it is worthless or I can't figure it out. I have rebuilt engines, superchargers, and transmissions- but this has me stumped!
1meanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum